Sarku Japan: Chicken Teriyaki?

Joined Aug 7, 2009
I would love to see your recipe as I wouldnt mind tasting some real japanese food. I've only had the cheap stuff T_T but yeah, someone's experience can also be mine

Joined Jul 21, 2009
Well, here it is for all to enjoy. I have to admit, in the stock pot on the stove the brown sauce has a rather sharp flavor to it. But once it's added to the chicken in a hot fry pan it really mellows out. With that in mind:

Marinade:
1 C Water
1/8 C Cooking Sherry
3/4 tsp diced garlic
1 1/4 tsp white pepper
1/4 C Kikkoman Low Sodium Soy Sauce
1/4 C Olive Oil

Brown Sauce:
2 1/2 C Unsalted Chicken Stock (I used Kitchen Basics)
3/4 C + 2 T Kikkoman Teriyaki Sauce
1/4 C + 2 T Kikkoman Low Sodium Soy Sauce
1 Clove Garlic
1 Thin Slice Ginger Root
3/4 C + 2 T Brown Sugar

To prepare the brown sauce, slice the garlic clove into 3 or 4 slices and add to the chicken stock with the ginger root. Heat slowly stirring frequently on med/low until warm. Promptly remove the garlic and ginger. Leaving the ginger in too long at this point will really add a spicy flavor to it so be careful not to leave it in too long. Add remaining ingredients and slowly bring to a light boil stirring constantly. Then, stir vigorously while you thicken it with the corn starch/water mixture mentioned by K. Hitchens.

I just made this recipe again a few days ago and the results were excellent. Follow the "massaging" hints and pan-frying technique and other helpful tips by K. Hitchens along with this recipe and hopefully you will end up with something very close to the Sarku flavor. If anyone has any other suggestions on modifying this recipe, please post here.

Dean

Last edited:
Joined Aug 7, 2009
Never tried "sarku" but maybe when I taste it somewhere when traveling I can say "I made this before!" :lol:
Thanks a lot

Joined Dec 28, 2009
I used very closely to the above list of ingredients. My difference in cooking: I used roughly chopped ginger and a half clove in the marinade. I also used a thumb sized piece of ginger roughly chopped in the finishing sauce, and warmed it up on med low. Once ginger took over as the primary taste (about 4 minutes) - I took 95% of it out with a slotted spoon. Most of the garlic remained.

This is very good! My wife commented immediately: "It's not Sakkio or Sarku, but if there was a place in the flea market or the next mall over called "Sarkiu", they would serve this there. " i.e. It was close enough to fool a lot of people, but not her.

I feel I had too much ginger in the finishing sauce. I was also not able to mix the chicken thoroughly (was at home, only had dough hooks on a hand mixer and no stand, so I mixed for like 10 minutes.) I used a frypan with a touch of veg oil and a drop of sesame oil over high heat - once it started to smoke I threw in a layer of chicken, having dripped off just a bit of the marinade. Cooked a while just shaking the pan to keep it from sticking, then flipped as a unit over.

Other than too gingerry, I think the chicken itself came out fairly close to the Sarku product.

I used some "wide lo mein" noodles fromt he grocery (no proper soba), napa, bok choy, snow peas and julienned carrots. I also fried the noodles in veg oil in a wok, added some soy to brown it up. Then the veg went in and I fried it all together. Served the chicken on top of this, and then poured a few scoops of the sauce.

6/10 in similarity to Sarku - I think I could get to

8/10 in taste.

2/10 in presentation (I did NOT like the look of the marinade, and the way the chicken is completely random is just not aesthetically pleasing to me. No real way to help this other than to just drown it in sauce and try to make up for it with some veg fun)

Joined Jan 6, 2010
I am a recent Vegetarian, but used to eat this teriaki chicken at least 2 times a week.
I will be trying this recipe with Tofu since i am having a teriaki chicken withdrawal . lol.
I am new to cooking tofu, so it will be difficult. But i think at this point being so hungry, i will be satisfied.
If anyone has any tofu frying tips with this recipe please advise. I know i will have to use imitation chicken stock but hey, its better then nothing...
thanks for this recipe.

Joined Feb 14, 2010
I had to join this site so that I can say THANK YOU to Keitaro427 and Sargon for their recipe for Sarku Japan Teriyaki Chicken. Its AWESOME, tastes exactly like the original!!!
I'd love to know the reason for the mixing method, you know putting the chicken in my mixer and mixing with the dough hook for 30 minutes....Seemed strange, but hey I wanted it to taste just like Sarku, so I did it, and I'm just curious what it does for the meat.
Anyway, THANK YOU for the perfect recipe and instructions!!!!!:peace:

Joined Feb 27, 2010
Don't forget the baking soda, a half teaspoon per pound of chicken. Baking soda acts as a tenderizing agent. I always liked to use a full teaspoon per pound at Sakkio/Sarku. Also use White pepper, not black, We used Black for the Beef. Dont forget to allow at least 2 hours marinade time, the longer the better. As a relative of a Former Owner of both a Sarku and a Sakkio Japan, my most sought after was my White Sauce Recipe which was constructed by our own recipe, that I am allowed to share here.

White Sauce,
We used a Wok and boiled Ketchup, Granulated Garlic, brown and white sugar, water, paprika for color and small amount of Lemon juice. brought to a boil then cooled.  We then added it 2/3 by volume, to 1/3 Mayo. Mixed it well.  Corporate Office wanted this Recipe badly and for free, it took days of trial and error to get it perfect, and they wont get it voluntarily.  Out store went from #101 ranked to #17 in 3 years. 

I wont give exact amounts, as we used ingredients by the gallon.  I recommend using ingredients by the cup for home use. It is shelf stable if you add lemon juice for several hours. not like it lasted that long. lol

Last edited:
Joined Jan 2, 2007
You are all very welcome.  It is my pleasure to share these recipes and I am delighted to see that so many people have taken matters into their own hands and adapted things to their own tastes and needs.  I would like to note that the gentleman that posted about adding a little bit of baking soda to your marinade is absolutely correct.  It is one of those minor details that I forgot over the years, and it really does aid in making the chicken more tender.  Just be very careful with it.  A little bit will go a long way, and the last thing that you want is your chicken actually TASTING like baking soda.  Even to a thirty-pound batch we only added a relatively small amount, so certainly less than a teaspoon (probably more between a half tsp and a quarter tsp).
One of the post replies asked about the process of mixing the chicken in a mixer and what role it played.  Although I have had decent results just hand-mixing the chicken when I was in a hurry, it seems to me that this heavy mixing really tenderizes the chicken and really works the marinade deep into the fibers of the meat.  It also removes the fat from the meat and causes it to break down and become very white in color, something my old Chinese boss referred to as "snow".  When the fat is this way, it melts the second it hits the heat, gives the chicken more to "fry" in, and subsequently is no longer on the chicken - ensuring a minimal amount of "fatty" pieces and a very succulent, juicy end product.
You will find, too, that chicken marinated and prepared in this way can be used for any Asian stir-fry application.  Even if you purchase pre-made grocery store sauce, your meal will benefit greatly from this method.  You can even fry up the marinated chicken as-is and use in chicken fried rice or chicken lo mein recipes.

Joined Mar 18, 2010
I'm in Patti's boat!! I just joined this site because I see Keitaro recently posted a comment to this thread and I want an opportunity to personally (sorta speak) express my sincerest grattitude for the post on STChicken. Not only was this recipe fun to read, the final product far exceded my initial expectation. I can only attribute any flaw, to my own "rookiness".

I haved used the recipe once, so far. I currently have 2 pounds of delicious chicken thigh slop in the refridgerator, which has been "hydrating" for approximately 36 hours. My ginger root is simmering as I type... .... ...

Sorry lost myself... but again... Thanks Keitaro. 

Joined May 21, 2010
Hello everybody, I have recently tried this recipe and I fell one ingredient is missing. The sauce seems right and the chicken marinade seems ok but what is the yellow butter with green stuff called that the sarku japan people put on the grill while they are cooking? And also, what about the stuff they squirt out onto the chicken? Those seem like necessary ingredients.

G

Has anyone tried  looking at cooking with dog on you tube? I use the teriyaki recipe form one of the videos and it always turns out great ...the secret is sake!  It goes great with gyoza....great now I'm hungry!

- Teriyaki Sauce -
2 tbsp Soy sauce
2 tbsp Mirin
4 tbsp Sake
1/2 tbsp Sugar

G

Use only sakes in your cooking that you would drink! It is just like cooking with wine. Don't use the best but if you don't like the flavor don't put it in you food. It is meant to enhance the flavors and well ....you can finish the bottle with your meal :) I personally like a dry sake in my teriyaki but I would try some out see what works for you.

Joined Jul 27, 2010
So... do u remember the "maki sauce" that used to come with the maki rolls in a little plastic cup?  It's was a sweet very citrusy sauce,,, seemed to have a bit of OJ in it perhaps... loved it... they stopped carrying it years ago and only offered cheap duck sauce... do you know how to duplicate it?

Joined Sep 20, 2010
hey there i ate this food and it was so good and i'm trying to cook  this food at home..

i will have a home party in 2 weeks..my sister will be married so is there any chance please can you give me the receipt of this food? so i can buy some stuff and cook it at home.

my e-mail address is [email protected]

you can e-mail me if you like also..

i'll be waiting your e-mail..

thank you..

Vanessa

Florida..

Joined Nov 8, 2010
It really depends on the location you go to for the Sarku chicken.  I fell in love with it in Denver, but moved to Westfield Mall,  Montgomery Co. MD.  This location is NOT good.  Gives it a bad name. 

Top Bottom