Zucchini

Joined Feb 4, 2005
I lost the paper that had the recipe for Zucchini pancakes I had from the show but found this and it seams pretty much the same. Matter of fact it was the owner of Ayhan's Shish Kebab who did the recipe at Hicks Nursery cooking class I guess you could call it.

1 pound zucchini (about 2 medium), trimmed
1 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
2 scallions or 2 tbs. onion, minced
2 tablespoons minced fresh dill
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 medium garlic clove, minced or pressed through a garlic press
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder (this wasn't in my recipe got from show, is it needed?)
6 tablespoons olive oil (this wasn't in my recipe I got at show but added olive oil to it myself)

Joined Jun 27, 2012
Add or delete the BP depending on how light you want the end product.

I like a drier, crisper texture so personally would skip it (is this a sacrilegious recipe alter @Fablesable  ;-) ?

The oil I would think would leave you with a heavy greasy mess....but again personal choice on that as well.

The instructions aren't there but just by placement the cheese is in the mix and doesn't need to be there either (IMO).

All in all I like the way this reads...thanks for sharing @Dagger  !

mimi

Last edited:

cerise

Banned
Joined Jul 5, 2013
I lost the paper that had the recipe for Zucchini pancakes I had from the show but found this and it seams pretty much the same. Matter of fact it was the owner of Ayhan's Shish Kebab who did the recipe at Hicks Nursery cooking class I guess you could call it.

1 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon baking powder (this wasn't in my recipe got from show, is it needed?)p
6 tablespoons olive oil (this wasn't in my recipe I got at show but added olive oil to it myself)

Great served with or topped with Tzatziki.

Joined Feb 4, 2005

I like a drier, crisper texture so personally would skip it (is this a sacrilegious recipe alter @Fablesable  ;-) ?

The oil I would think would leave you with a heavy greasy mess....but again personal choice on that as well.

The instructions aren't there but just by placement the cheese is in the mix and doesn't need to be there either (IMO).

mimi
feta was always in the recipe, even in mine and I like it with the cheese. I added olive oil to the recipe because it was Greek and figured it wouldn't hurt so liked this one used it. don't remember were I found this but it seamed to be close to what I remember.

Joined Jun 27, 2012

mimi
feta was always in the recipe, even in mine and I like it with the cheese. I added olive oil to the recipe because it was Greek and figured it wouldn't hurt so liked this one used it. don't remember were I found this but it seamed to be close to what I remember.
Sorry thought I moved the feta to a crumble on top...

The rest of course is just IMO.

Twist and tweak to your heart's content this sort of dish can take a fair amt of abuse lol.

mimi

cerise

Banned
Joined Jul 5, 2013

Zuke/feta cakes/fritters have been around for a while, and I think your recipe is spot on. Some variations include adding pine nuts or walnuts with a Greek Tzatiki sauce. It's all good.

Joined Sep 9, 2012
You can also seed them, sauté in butter, add lemon juice, brown sugar, cinnamon/allspice/nutmeg and use them in a crisp or cobbler. Mimics apple crisp with the tartness from the lemon and spices. Delicious!

Joined Feb 4, 2005
I tried pine nuts once, didn't think much of them until I learned they needed to be heated first. of course their price has sky rocketed since then

Joined Nov 15, 2012

1 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon baking powder (this wasn't in my recipe got from show, is it needed?)
Look here also: http://www.cheftalk.com/t/88288/m-ckver-la-f-ta-what-is-it

You really can't use too much fresh dill here, 2oz/lb zucchini will work.

More garlic and onion wouldn't hurt, but no more on the feta of which 3oz would be fine.

You will have to salt and press the zucchini to remove excess liquid or things will be too thin to hold together trying to make pancakes.  I think my mother used to use a bunch of cornmeal instead, these were more ordinary without feta or dill.

Last edited:
Joined Feb 4, 2005
Ok made them
Look here also: http://www.cheftalk.com/t/88288/m-ckver-la-f-ta-what-is-it

You really can't use too much fresh dill here, 2oz/lb zucchini will work.

More garlic and onion wouldn't hurt, but no more on the feta of which 3oz would be fine.

You will have to salt and press the zucchini to remove excess liquid or things will be too thin to hold together trying to make pancakes.  I think my mother used to use a bunch of cornmeal instead, these were more ordinary without feta or dill.
Ok used the link in this thread, thanks for the recipe. I made some changes using whole onion and added some olive oil. Drained the zucchini like said but first two pancakes didn't hold shape so incressed flour by 11 more tbs. And it worked out fine. 1 tbs. dill since didn't have fresh, feta was what had left

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom