Zucchini

Joined Feb 4, 2005
I grow these during the summer and I know small ones are the best but there isn't much flavor in a Zucchini​. I got a Greek Zucchini pancake recipe from a cooking show that have made but and buy frozen mix of veggies from BJs which has Zucchini and Squash along with carrots, broccoli and cauliflower but Zucchini alone pretty bland. 

Joined Apr 3, 2008
Ugh why?  I find zucchini to be very special.  They are best in the summer and sometimes they can be quite bitter.  But bland?  I don't think so but you're talking to a Greek here and we quite know what to do with zucchini.  I eat them almost daily when they are in season, in omelets and stirfries, stuffed or grated into stuffings, roasted or made into zucchini fries with yogurt/mint dip, made into fritters or pancakes or even bread. I like to make it into pies and casseroles like moussaka and kourkouto. They easily slip into soups too, there's no end to what you can do with a zucchini. 

Joined Feb 17, 2010
Boiled frozen veggies are not the best comparison to a fresh squash. I made fritters last night, they had plenty of flavor from just the squash.

Like Koukou said, there is plenty to do with a zucchini.

One of my favorites is cooked with bacon, onion, mushroom, olive oil & a pinch of oregano.

Joined Apr 3, 2008
Zuccs can take on quite a bit of heat, and they pair very well with fresh herbs, especially fresh mint.  

Joined Sep 5, 2008

I grow these during the summer and I know small ones are the best but there isn't much flavor in a Zucchini​. 
If there isn't much flavor in your zucchini, you must be doing something wrong. Maybe you're watering them too much for example? Or maybe you're overgrowing them? A zucchini is full of intense flavor. 

In fact if you grow your own I would recommend you give them all the attention they deserve and don't turn them into a pancake or mix them with other veggies. Here are simple ways to prepare zucchini that will make the most out of their own flavor: 

1) Grilled zucchini: cut lengthwise in 2 halves or 4 quarters. Brush liberally with a good olive oil, salt and pepper and grill over low direct or indirect heat for a minimum of 20mn, and up to 40mn.... you get a "confit" zucchini that's out of this world. 

2) Sauteed zucchini: cut lengthwise in 2 halves and remove seed part with a spoon. Dice in 1/4" cubes. In a cold pan, place a couple of smashed garlic cloves, a couple of sprigs of thyme, and a good amount of olive oil. Gently heat the oil and when it's hot enough, sautee the zucchini cubes until golden brown, but retain some bite. You can then serve as a side, or mix into a risotto, or serve with rice on the side...

Last edited:

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
Ugh!!  Dagger posted his opinion regarding zucchini and I somewhat agree with him.  Compared to many other vegetables it is pretty bland, not tasteless, but pretty bland.  Yes, you can make it flavorful, but it is also easy to overwhelm it and it's flavor can get lost.  I personally don't care for the taste of it, but I use it in soups a lot because the flavor gets lost in all the other things and I eat it raw because once dipped in a veggie dip you can hardly taste it.

Joined Feb 4, 2005
I use Earthboxes so everything is closely controlled, rate of food and water. Zucchini Greek Pancakes is really good but never made bread with it. I seen grilled Zucchini but never made it and it seams the flavor comes from the dressing supposed to pour over it.

Joined Feb 4, 2005

Ugh why?  I find zucchini to be very special.  They are best in the summer and sometimes they can be quite bitter.  But bland?  I don't think so but you're talking to a Greek here and we quite know what to do with zucchini.  I eat them almost daily when they are in season, in omelets and stirfries, stuffed or grated into stuffings, roasted or made into zucchini fries with yogurt/mint dip, made into fritters or pancakes or even bread. I like to make it into pies and casseroles like moussaka and kourkouto. They easily slip into soups too, there's no end to what you can do with a zucchini. 
​they make good filler, meat but other veggies have lot more flavor. Zucchini has high water content to me

Last edited:
Joined Sep 5, 2008

​they make good filler, meat but other veggies have lot more flavor. Zucchini has high water content to me
Yeah, like I said, that means the zucchini is either overgrown or was watered too much. Veggies have a more concentrated flavor when you water them less or not at all (depending on where you live obviously). 

Joined Apr 3, 2008
Posts like this are a real downer. There is no requirement to like zucchini. There are hundreds of other squashes that are delicious, and hundreds of other vegetables to cook with.  Stop growing it.  Stop buying it.  If you've got some you have to use up hide it in a dish where you don't have to taste it.  Or give it to someone who will appreciate its flavor.  Or challenge yourself and look up an awesome recipe on tastespotting http://www.tastespotting.com/search/courgette/1

Joined Apr 3, 2008
If you fee that way then you are always welcome to not comment and go along your merry way.
And so are you. But cheftalk is my merry way, this is where I come to chat about food and yummy stuff. So I'm not going anywhere. But I will leave this thread since among all the opinions here mine is not welcome.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Bland or not, I like them. Every other year I can zucchini relish, which I like a lot more than pickle relish.

cerise

Banned
Joined Jul 5, 2013
You could grill and stuff it caprese style. Or use fillings of choice. Think pizza.

I saved a lemon zuchinni bread recipe that looks good. Will see if I can find it.

Joined Mar 19, 2009
Zucchini parmigiana! Zucchini pickles! Zucchini tempura!

There you are: Zucchini in three languages.

Last edited:
Joined Aug 21, 2004
Make the zucchini into pesto Grate the zucchini and squeeze out excess moisture then proceed as with a regular pesto (blend a little spinach into the pesto to make it green). Cook some pasta and toss with the pesto. Top the pasta with garlic sauteed zucchini cubes, toasted walnuts, and chevre. Might change your mind about zucchini being bland.

Joined Feb 4, 2005
Best market has green zucchini on sale .79 lb. Funny I ask about it and now on sale. The also have Asparagus $1.99 lb., should I dare? Some of your ideas sound good and I'll have to try them.

cerise

Banned
Joined Jul 5, 2013
Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom