zucchini (zucchine) - what to do with them?

Joined Apr 3, 2008
For a greek dish which is probably not even greek given it's name try this.

Briami

- zucchinis in 1/2 inch slicesonion

- potatoes in 1/2 inch slices

- onion slices

- dill... lots and lots of dill

- olive oil

- s/p

Put all the ingredients in a baking dish and bake.  I never make this since I like the greek ratatouille version better so I can't recall if it has garlic in it.  But I would put it in just to be safe.

Joined Apr 17, 2006
Pile it on my doorstep anytime and I will thank you. I love zucchini, and I can't say why as it really doesn't have much taste.

Sort of like egg plant that way. Still, I love zucchini. I like it best just sauteed in some olive oil, garlic and a little tarragon along with yellow summer sqaush, mushrooms, asperagus and whatever else might be around. I see a lot of people mentioned pancakes, and I believe they mean like a potato pancake where you shred the zucchini and substitute if for the potato. I have done this and like it a lot. There is a Chinese restaurant in my town that shreds it and mixes it with mayo and crab meat then tops it with cheese and bakes it. There are probably other ingredients in it, but not that I can identify. I love that stuff and could eat the whole pan full. I never even heard of zucchini until Cambell's had a commercial where an Italian lady was describing how she made her minestrone soup, saying she cut (list of ingredients here, including zucchini) into nice, big chunks, echoed by Campbell's saying they also cut their (same list of ingredients) into nice big chunks. I don't believe anyone in the whole state of Minnesota had the least idea what a zucchini was prior to that commercial, but within two years nobody had a garden without it and nobody had any idea what to do with it. Made me wonder why they even bothered planting it. It got to be almost like rhubarb with people coming up with any and every use for it. Still makes me wonder.

Joined Aug 13, 2006
 within two years nobody had a garden without it and nobody had any idea what to do with it. Made me wonder why they even bothered planting it. It got to be almost like rhubarb with people coming up with any and every use for it. Still makes me wonder.
They planted it because it grows so easily and so quickly, which is why i find it easily and cheaply at the market.  I don't grow it myself, i only have a terrace and am not too good with growing vegetables there.  Managed on occasion to get a couple or three tomatoes, an occasional cucumber.  Oh, and about 6 lemons a year and a couple of dozen olives.  I stick to herbs for edibles, and try to get my flowers to grow. 

Top Bottom