zucchini (zucchine) - what to do with them?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by siduri, Jun 7, 2010.

1. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    It's summer and there are tons of zucchine.  They don't have all that much flavor, and i have a hard time foisting them on my family (and i am pretty sick of them too).

Advantages: nothing to peel, nothing to wash in tons of water and lift out to get rid of sand, cheap, plentiful

Disadvantages: not much taste.

So, while i do enjoy an occasional baby zucchina just barely blanched with olive oil, the pleasure fades fast, and the tiny ones are not so easy to find.

Here is all i can come up with (I detest vegetables boiled in tomato so i ignore any recipe that involves boiling in tomato:

- cut up and sauteed with garlic and oil

- cut up, sauteed in garlic and oil till soft and used over pasta

- grated and cooked in butter and garlic (julia child)

- grated and cooked in butter and oil and garlic over pasta

- sauteed with garlic, put in a baking dish with tomatoes, origano and mozarella and baked

- sliced lengthwise and put on baking sheets with a mixture of breadcrumbs and grated or smashed garlic, origano, oil, salt and pepper on top, and baked.

- breaded and fried or batter fried

and that's about it.

i know people do stuff like zucchine alla parmigiana, but really why bother to do all that work with zucchine when eggplant is so much tastier?  

It seems like a lot of different dishes, but somehow it seems there should be more you can do with it.  Maybe some non-italian dishes. 

thanks

p.s i know i can look on internet, but i want dishes someone has actually tried and liked. 

2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Cut them the long way in thinnish strips. Grill them. brush with olive oil and season with lemon pepper.

I've also seen them used this way for noodless lasagna using zukes and or eggplant as the pasta layers.

3. thekitchensink

thekitchensink

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I love them with garlic and olive oil

4. dc sunshine

dc sunshine

Exp:
    Other
    Leave them on neighbours doorsteps /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif  then they can worry about them.  Or if you really have that many, I'm sure a local charity would accept them.

Ok - down to ideas......

Make savoury muffins using grated and squeezed out in a tea towel zucchini.

Zucchini chips - slice finely, salt, toss, put into a colander to drain the liquid out, rinse, dry on a tea towel then shallow fry.

Grill lengthwise slices, then stuff with a chunk of mozarella, roll it up, secure with a cocktail stick and grill briefly tilll cheese oozes out.

Add to a veg. soup diced up finely.

Slice lengthwise very finely, blanch until just soft, drain, use to line a dariole mould, then fill with chicken mousse, fold overhanging ends to cover and bake.

Slice very finely lengthwise then slice into thin strips lengthwise, and use as a "pasta" after blanching with whatever sauce you like.

Cut into 2 inch lengths, hollow out with apple corer, stuff with savoury filling of choice, bake until done.

When making skewers for a bbq, add chunks of zuk (maybe dressed with lemon and pepper) with mushrooms, capsicum, marinated meats, onion wedges etc.  Oil skewered bits well while cooking.

Hope something in the above helped - DC

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  5. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
  6. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Mix it in with Capponatta, Cream of zuch soup. stuffed zuch. Zuchinni boats with julianne of vege, Mushrooom and zuchinni a la Greque(cooked cold Salad). Minestrone soup.

7. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    Thanks ed.  I once tried to make a vegetable a la greque with a recipe that took the better part of a day (each vegetable had to be cooked separately).  It seemed interesting, but hardly worth the effort.  Can you give me a recipe? 

Also, what's your way of making cream of zucchini soup?  They haven't got much flavor of their own, adding cream or flour and milk would seem to cover what flavor they have - or no?

8. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
  9. ishbel

ishbel

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I like courgette (pace, Siduri, but we use the French name here in the UK!) - stuffed with a savoury mince/tomato/onion sauce!

Or, dredged in flour and almost dry-fried as an accompaniment for barbecued (British barbecue - not getting into american BBQ/barbecue contretemps!) chicken

Add as a 'bulker' to any kind of casserole

Make lots of ratatouille

10. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    That's exactly what I do too, sometimes adding some balsamic vinegar too. Along with eggplants, onions, tomatoes...

You can also bake them, or pan sautee them until golden brown with onions and add some cream to finish. Delicious with a ground beef patty.

Stuff them with anything (I like meat stuffings).

Make ratatouille. Couscous. Tajines. For the last two you can keep them in big, big chunks.

Grate them and mix them with grated carrots, leave raw and serve as a salad with olive oil, lemon, S&P.

Grate them and mix them with grated carrots and potatoes, make pancakes or hash browns.

Slice them in super thin slices in the length using a peeler, and add raw to salads, or very quickly cook and serve as a side dish.

11. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    They're a good vegie for a chinese stir fry too.

Cut in half the long way. The cut thinly on the bias giving you half oval shapes.

HOT HOT Wok or pan. Add a little oil then some ginger. then the zucchini seasoned with a little salt. I like to add them in small groups, stirring between addition so they don't clump so much. Sprinkle with a little sugar and rice wine or dry sherry. Toss about in the pan for another minute or two, maybe three, then serve

I like a little slivered green onion cooked with this sometimes. Or a little soy sauce instead of the salt.

Zucchini are also terrific fried tempura style. Bit of work and mess, but quite tasty.

Or cut very thinly and dressed with a little nuoc cham they make a good addition to goi cuon (Vietnamese fresh summer rolls in rice paper) in place of cucumber

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  12. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I think zucchini would go well in a quiche

13. the pie lady

the pie lady

Exp:
    Professional Baker
    Make Zucchini Pepper Relish!  The recipe I use was a handwritten note I found in an old church recipe book I bought at an estate sale.  It is essentially the same as the one you would find on recipezarr.  My favorite thing to do with zucchinis.

14. titomike

titomike

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Grated & squeeze dried they provide body, texture & colour for fritters based on subtle flavours eg. seafood.

Ribbons done with a peeler present well and can be deep-fried to crisp for garnish.

Halved lengthways & chargrilled marks them nicely & the caramelising boosts overall flavour. Usually just flavour them (& mush, caps, red on. etc.) briefly then finish in the oven (so as not to be too overpowering) finish with a balsamic vin for a bbq side.

The flowers battered are supposed to be something special...

15. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Don;t  know why it took all day? could it be the type of vegies used > I only use celery, onion, garlic,whole button mushrooms, red peppers, zuchinni, yellow squash., olive oil vinegar, spices fresh herbs basil, greek oregano,thyme lemon balm , rosemary  add them in at the level of their softness. IE celery first, onion, Do not over cook.cook( Al Dente ) After cooking, Cool quick by putting it all on a large flat pan and turn frequently chill. I have even tossed it with pasta for a cold pasta vege salad.

16. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    One of my favorites: Cut lengthwise into slices about 1/4 inch thick. Brush with olive oil and grill until just tender.

Spread with your favorite filling (such as herbed goat cheese) and roll like a pinwheel. Tie with a wilted chive.

We also enjoy Mid-Eastern style zucchini fritters.

If you're in to preserving, zucchini can substitute for cucumber in any pickle or relish recipe.

You can get pretty creative with summer squash. In James McNair's Squash Cookbook, for instance, he has 17 recipes for summer squash, some of them rather unique. Among them:

Summer Squash Soup

Summer Squash Timbale

Zucchini, Leek, and Chevre Tart in Wild Rice Crust.

Spicy Squash Cakes with Tomato Salsa

Orange and Squash Muffins

If any of those sound intriquing, I'll type out the recipe for you.

17. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef

18. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Caponata

we stuff chevre in squash blossoms attached to baby squash, fritto misto them.

you can hollow out and stuff with cooked seasoned ground lamb or beef....pine nuts, onions, garlic, oregano....

19. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    these, or if that's greedy, any one of your choice. 

thanks

(recipe can be roughly indicative)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  20. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    Chef billyB

yeah, I could make nice prosciutti right? 

I don't grow them, but there are always so many at the market, and they require little preparation like other vegetables (no peeling, no massive washing like with greens, no breaking down into flowerets... so i like to buy them but basically all the recipes i mentioned are either fried or they amount to sauteeing in garlic, period.