yule log

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by pastrycake, Dec 7, 2005.

1. pastrycake

pastrycake

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Needing ideas for xmas baking. Never made a yule log but looks like a jelly roll with rich ganache. yummy. I may just use the cake bible recipe but any input from experiences would be great. also, thought maybe bake some sweets as gift giving for my sweet tooth friends. any holiday suggestions?:)

2. castironchef

castironchef

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    The recipe in Baking Illustrated also produces great results.

I whip my ganache to get the "right" consistency for the bark. Instead of using a fork (the most commonly recommended method), I use my icing spat turned sideways and quick slashes to make the bark pattern.

Have fun with the decorating, as that's the best part of making buches de noel.

3. kevinvilla

kevinvilla

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Thinking about making a yule log this year. I was wondering, how heavy is a yule log? Is it as heavy and chocolate-y as it looks in pictures? And is there any way to lighten it?

4. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    any filling can be rolled in the sponge. We do a strawberries and cream which is light.

5. castironchef

castironchef

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    The cake itself, being a genoise, is very light, too. (I like to use a cherry, mascarpone filling.)

In fact, the whole thing is pretty darned delicious! A thin slice after a heavy holiday meal is fantastic.

6. kc

kc

I've never tried a cake roll before, and I'm contemplating the chocolate cloud roll from the The Cake Bible, with a Bailey's Irish Cream cream filling, dusted with grated chocolate rather than the Yule decorations. Basic question here: if the cake is baked in an 11x17 pan, do you roll it up the long way or the short way? Thanks.

7. castironchef

castironchef

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    You roll starting on one of the long sides.

8. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    After rolling, cut an angled piece off the end, about 3-4" long and attach it to the side on the angled end to resemble a cut off branch.
    We used to make meringue mushrooms too, and marzipan figures etc. They are fun, it's easy to get carried away. We used to make about 100 of them so we got to play with all sorts of things. Make a little mouse head out of Marzipan and put it on the end to make it look like a little mouse peeking out. Have fun with it!