Yucca/Yams

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by rachel, Nov 17, 2001.

1. rachel

rachel

Can anyone help me to cook yucca/yams properly and do something more interesting than boiling them and eating with a sauce? Coming to my house to show me would be wonderful, but I would settle for a message posted here. Unless anyone particularly wants to come to Scotland in the depths of winter ;)

2. anneke

anneke

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    At the restaurant we make long ultra-thin slices with them, wrap them around tall cylinders, and deep-fry them. We use these as containers for our prawn dish. Yucca is very versatile. Let your imagination roam! ;)

3. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Years ago at Patria, a Nuevo Latino restaurant in New York City, I had some unforgettable Yuca Fries with Lemon Sauce: cut the peeled yuca as for frites, deep fry, and serve with a sauce of slightly thickened lemon juice(NOT strained; you want all the pulp), garlic, and oregano.

Or make something on the order of Mofongo: boil and mash them, season well, then mix with bits of roast pork and lots, I mean LOTS of sauteed, chopped garlic. Form into balls and saute them (you could try baking, it might work??). Very Dominican, very good (as long as you love garlic).

4. w.debord

w.debord

I don't know how you hold them on the ring Anneke, would you share that? Toothpick?

I'm a bit confused, isn't yucca different than yams?????????? I can't even think of what a yucca is other then the spikey plant in my backyard........Help?

I remember seeing a recipe where they layered the yams with reg. potatoes into a galete, baked until crisp outside tender inside. Also one just like that where they layered the two and did more of a custard or au gratin, that looked lovely.

You also could shape them into pommes and fry them.

Does that help or are you asking for exact recipes?

5. rachel

rachel

WeBord,
    I first 'met' yams in Spain and then Miami, so I've always known them as yucca (Scotland isn't exactly a world reknown centre for yams!). I have since discovered that there is one shop here that sells them along with plantains, palm oil etc, etc. There's only one shop in Glasgow due to a very small (well tiny) African/Afro-Caribbean community here, but I wanted to buy some and needed some inspiration.
    Suzanne, I had completely forgotten about Mofongo, and I've only had it made or eaten it with plaintain. I must try it again! Thank you all, you've inspired me to get cooking. Although I am simply an amateur cook with an enjoyment of the kitchen, I now feel ready to surprise my family and friends! In fact, my African friends are gonna freak!

6. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Wendy: in most of the rest of the world, yams are a starchy veg quite different from the sweet potatoes we call that here. Another name for yam is name, with a tilda over the n. Yuca is also called cassava or manioc.

Look for a copy of Elizabeth Schneider's Uncommon Fruits & Vegetables: A Commonsense Guide, which has a wealth of info about all sorts of, well, uncommon fruits & vegs. It's available in paperback.

7. w.debord

w.debord

OH, so that explains everything, oops! Is it South American?

8. glutz

glutz

1. cubed and cooked in sugared water, a pleasant desert.

2. Boiled in skin, sliced and sprinkled with spices to be grilled.

3. Cooked , mashed and mixed with glutinous rice powder,
    deep fried and sprinkled with castor sugar, a cookie/sweet

;)

9. rachel

rachel

Glutz, what kind of spices? Sorry to ask, but I'm not a professional and often lack imagination. I've only ever seen yuca boiled with sauces or garlic vinagrettes.

10. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    This article comes from Christopher Kimball Editor, Cook's Illustrated
    printed in the Charleston Daily Mail

New articles weekly appear at this link .