Your thoughts on Scanpan

Joined Oct 15, 2010
I've been wanting to get a nonstick skillet and a small sauce pan with lid. Sur La Table currently has a set of from Scanpan on sale, 9¼" skillet and 3-qt. saucepan with lid for $89.99, with free shipping. http://www.surlatable.com/product/738781.do

I know nothing about Scanpan. Does anyone have experience with them? Pros? Cons? Are they heavy?

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
They're reportedly tougher than generic non-stick, but the increase doesn't merit the high price. There was also a spate of bad coatings a year or two back.

You should be able to pick up a thick aluminum teflon pan for about $20 that will last 2-4 years or longer depending how careful you are with it. Then pick up another $20 dollar pan after that. Those two sequential pans will last longer in total than the scanpan and cost much less.

I don't know why you'd want a non-stick saucepan. I've had them and the non-stick doesn't add anything to their use really. Plus they become useless for caramel and such as you can't accurately gauge color against the dark coating.

Joined Oct 15, 2010
Thanks for letting me know about the quality. I actually don't need the saucepan to be non-stick, just the skillet. I was just curious as this set in particular is so inexpensive compare to the other Scanpan products.

Latest posts

Top Bottom