Your thoughts on kale in a salad?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by sidediva, Dec 20, 2014.

1. sidediva

sidediva

Exp:
    At home cook
    I have had Kale in salad in a restaurant however, the kale I see in the grocery store is pretty tough. What would you use and how do you treat it for salad? Read something about massaging it with salt, but doesn't that make it salty? Thanks…..

2. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Baby kale like baby spinach is ok, but a bit bitter

3. chicagoterry

chicagoterry

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I make kale salads all the time. The trick is to massage the dressing into the kale with your hands and let it sit for awhile before you eat it. It's still good the next day.

Lacinato or dragon kale is a little less tough. As with regular kale you need to remove the rib. I just tear regular kale into bite sized pieces but Lacinato kale I slice into thin ribbons.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  4. jim berman

jim berman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Exactly what @ChicagoTerry  said! Oil causes havoc on the cell structure of the greens. Allowing the oil to beat up on the kale for a day makes for a much more tender salad. 

5. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Kaleslaw.  :)

6. mtullius

mtullius

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Yep. Chop it fairly small and let it sit. I make it with toasted sesame orange ginger dressing.

7. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    I am a big fan of chopped salad but it is just a big waste to buy all the different components.
    End up throwing most of it out.
    Bag salad is not something I ever buy but much to my surprise found a bagged chopped mix including kale and broccoli stems the other day.
    Took a chance and was pleasantly surprised how good it was .
    Poured some in the bowl with a handful of dried fruit and nuts ( leftover from fruitcake ingredients) dressed with a mix of an Asian and Catalina "end of the bottle" dressing.
    The best part?
    Four days later was still crisp and fresh.

mimi

8. jaynna

jaynna

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Generally, there are two kinds of kale you find in the market: The curly kale and and the other is the lacinato kale. I prefer lacinato kale for salad because curly kale is fibrous and grassy tasting which is not best for salads unless you love chewing. Slice the lacinato kale, cutting the ribs first. After removing the ribs of the kale, chop it and slice it through the roll. 

9. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    For a twist, grill or roast it and add it to salad. Might sound weird, but don't knock it till you try it.

10. alaminute

alaminute

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    You can also de-rib, julienne and brine in salt water (1c.:1g.) for 12-24 hours. After you rinse, it will be tender enough to dress and serve.

11. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Raw Kale gives me a horrible stomach ache!

I do like cooked Kale though, and @cheflayne

I'll try it grilled, that does sound pretty darn tasty!