Your opinion please, another canape question

Joined Dec 12, 2000
I've been tossing ideas around in my head, and I'm thinking for one canape for my mom's birthday party, I'm going slice a baguette into rounds, toast and butter them, then top with a cream cheese quenelle,and garnish with a slice of avocado a baby shrimp and a dill sprig. I just need to know if that's going overboard for a canape ? .
TIA,
Jeff

Joined Mar 13, 2001
Seems quite interesting CoolJ. I would dice the avocado quite finely, like a duxelle...and keep your quenelle on the small side!

Less may be more!

You could also dispense with the bread and serve individual servings in porcelain chinese soup spoons :lips:

Joined Mar 13, 2001
Did you know you can whip Brie de Meaux! It makes beautiful quenelles. Just a thought! :rolleyes:

Joined May 26, 2001
Personally, I would dispense with the cream cheese, since the texture is redundant with the avocado. BTW, how do you plan to keep the avocado from going black -- lemon juice, lime (my preference), or some other acid?

Joined Mar 13, 2001
YES Suzanne!!!

Actually, I think CoolJ could make two canapes instead of one with these ingredients.

1) Quenelles on very thin slices of french baguette, toasted, finish with fresh cracked black pepper;

2) Avocado slices with the shrimp and dill either on bread too or finely diced and served in a spoon.

Joined Feb 21, 2001
I watched the guys in the kitchen making canapes with my beautiful baguettes this weekend. they rubbed olive oil on a sheet pan, tossed on the thinly sliced bread and rubbed it around, then made sure both sides got a little oil, then they put on half balls of fresh mozzarella and topped that with half a roasted cherry tomato. this went into the oven for few minutes, quick cheap and dirty.

Joined Nov 14, 2001
As far as canape making the only rule is that it is bite size. I would recomend spicing up the shrimp a little bit. Maybe poaching it in water with some cumin,chili powder,paprika, bay leaf, and lemon. But other than that do what ur mouth and heart tell u to.

Joined Jan 5, 2001
I would do away with the baby shrimp personally. They are full of water, they smell bad and they don't have much flavour.

I would spring for slightly bigger shrimp, brine them, broil them a couple of minutes with oil, peel them and halve them lengthwise. Cost wise it won't be much different, and you have shell for your bisque-baggie in the freezer.

One canapé that I once did that was very well received was a little thin toast triangle (sorry, a canapé crouton) with a gorgonzola/cream mixture, some fresh figs or fig compote, and a couple of pommegrenate seed for colour. Went like hotcakes! (I can't remember off hand what I put in the mix but I can post it if you want.

Top Bottom