Your opinion please, another canape question

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by coolj, Nov 12, 2001.

1. coolj

coolj

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I've been tossing ideas around in my head, and I'm thinking for one canape for my mom's birthday party, I'm going slice a baguette into rounds, toast and butter them, then top with a cream cheese quenelle,and garnish with a slice of avocado a baby shrimp and a dill sprig. I just need to know if that's going overboard for a canape ? .
    TIA,
    Jeff

2. kimmie

kimmie

Seems quite interesting CoolJ. I would dice the avocado quite finely, like a duxelle...and keep your quenelle on the small side!

Less may be more!

You could also dispense with the bread and serve individual servings in porcelain chinese soup spoons :lips:

3. kimmie

kimmie

Did you know you can whip Brie de Meaux! It makes beautiful quenelles. Just a thought! :rolleyes:

4. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Personally, I would dispense with the cream cheese, since the texture is redundant with the avocado. BTW, how do you plan to keep the avocado from going black -- lemon juice, lime (my preference), or some other acid?

5. kimmie

kimmie

YES Suzanne!!!

Actually, I think CoolJ could make two canapes instead of one with these ingredients.

1) Quenelles on very thin slices of french baguette, toasted, finish with fresh cracked black pepper;

2) Avocado slices with the shrimp and dill either on bread too or finely diced and served in a spoon.

6. thebighat

thebighat

I watched the guys in the kitchen making canapes with my beautiful baguettes this weekend. they rubbed olive oil on a sheet pan, tossed on the thinly sliced bread and rubbed it around, then made sure both sides got a little oil, then they put on half balls of fresh mozzarella and topped that with half a roasted cherry tomato. this went into the oven for few minutes, quick cheap and dirty.

7. riverrun

riverrun

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    As far as canape making the only rule is that it is bite size. I would recomend spicing up the shrimp a little bit. Maybe poaching it in water with some cumin,chili powder,paprika, bay leaf, and lemon. But other than that do what ur mouth and heart tell u to.

8. anneke

anneke

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    I would do away with the baby shrimp personally. They are full of water, they smell bad and they don't have much flavour.

I would spring for slightly bigger shrimp, brine them, broil them a couple of minutes with oil, peel them and halve them lengthwise. Cost wise it won't be much different, and you have shell for your bisque-baggie in the freezer.

One canapé that I once did that was very well received was a little thin toast triangle (sorry, a canapé crouton) with a gorgonzola/cream mixture, some fresh figs or fig compote, and a couple of pommegrenate seed for colour. Went like hotcakes! (I can't remember off hand what I put in the mix but I can post it if you want.

9. chouxbacca

chouxbacca

I'd like it if you would:lips:
    sounds yummy