Your Most Versatile Ingredient

Joined Jul 24, 2001
Oh I have checked that

With a kilo of flour and 1 bottle of olive oil I can prepare a 3 courses meal and dessert

:)

Joined May 26, 2001
Would that I were so proficient! But I believe it of you, Athenaeus!

My vote goes to the incredible, edible EGG. What else is such a textural chameleon -- solidifying some foods, making others lighter than air, itself on occasion both liquid and solid at the same time? And nobody has to die for us to use them (except maybe the bugs that the birds eat).

Joined Nov 29, 2001
Cheese. Cheese enriches everything and there is such an array, sweet and savory dishes are both covered - not to mention the calcium benefit.

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
I'm with Athenaeus and Suzanne. Add butter and Kimmie's salt. I'll be happy. And yeast...

Joined Mar 21, 2002
I was hoping someone would say onions. If you're a chef and you've never played with some Vidalia onions....you really should. Heck, even if you aren't a chef you should. I've eaten them like an apple.

Matt

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
I agree with Suzanne. I think the egg is the most versatile. After that it's flour, then maybe chicken. But the egg definitely before the chicken :p

Kuan

Joined Mar 21, 2002
I guess it depends on how clumsy he is with a knife? That would be one ingredient in rather short supply...

Matt

Top Bottom