Your Least Favorite Prep Task

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by foodnfoto, May 5, 2001.

1. foodnfoto

foodnfoto

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    What do you think is the worst task you have to do to prep a meal? I have several that I try, like anything, to pass off onto someone else.
    Mine is cleaning fresh monk fish and squid. You wouldn't BELIEVE what I've pulled out of them! :eek:
    What are yours?

2. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I'm using tons of fresh fava beans, To take them out of there bean shell,blanch and husk can be quite time consuming.

I agree on the monk fish, It has a outer membrain like no other fish. Almost like a placenta :eek:

anyone who has filleted fresh shad would understand that it has a very unusal bone structure.

although I love any kind of fresh beet,peeling cooked standard reds without a pair of kitchen gloves can leave you "caught red handed" for quite sometime.
    cc

3. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Gotta be peeling copious amounts of garlic..my hands get cut under the nails

4. foodnfoto

foodnfoto

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    What about cleaning swordfish? Has anyone here had to pull out the parasitic worms from them?
    I found one 16 inches long one time.
    Haven't eaten swordfish since.
    As an alternative, I always learn toward Mako or Black-tippped shark for that kind of flavor and texture. No worms, either. :eek:

5. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Cleaning veggies, especially leeks.

6. shahar

shahar

Personaly I find most of the supposdly dirty job fun - Filleting fish, peeling beans. To me it's therapy.
    I do hate straining huge stocks. I smell of it for days later. Peeiling grilled peppers while still hot, ouch. Creps when you need to make 300 in half an hour - 4 pans and scorched fingers.

7. greg

greg

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    It's a toss-up between de-seeding pomegranates and carrot gaufrettes (ribbon-shaped, not the easy circle).

8. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    deseeding pomagranites???? do you do that often? Out of curiosity what do you do with them?

And I'm going to stop eating breakfast while I read cheftalk....parasitic worm talk just turned the shiitake asparagus omelet into something unappetizing.

9. greg

greg

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Shroom, we used them from time to time at a country club I once worked at as garnish for a salad (sorry, don't remember the other components). Oddly enough, the chef only used them for banquet functions, so we'd have to do enough for 350-400 salads at a time. Boring, mundane work, and if your glove broke and you didn't notice, you'd have red hands for a few days.

10. pastachef

pastachef

I'll have to say that you people put your hearts, minds, and bodies into your jobs. What hard workers! I couldn't do these things.

11. isa

isa

it's a toss between peeling and seeding tomatoes and peeling and slicing apples for pies and tarts, specialy when you are making more then one or two.

12. shahar

shahar

Two sticks to the fire:
    1. Worms? Who ever heard in here(or read or seen) about italian maggot cheese?

2: pomegrantes: I like to juice them. Then you don't need to deseed. Just cut and squeese gently in a citrus juicer(not too hard or it will become bitter). Chill and drink. Use for fowl marinades. Sorbets. etc. My favorite - 1 shot fresh pomegrante 1 shoot finlandia vodka, freeze.

13. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Pomagranites are such a great flavor...I'm going to try the cocktail suggestion...
    I use pomagranite molasses for numourus dishes...it comes in a jar.

maggot cheese, yes we delved into that gem at great length monthes ago...probably in the archives under most disgusting things people eat. They didn't remove the maggots before ingesting as I remember that was part of the mystic

I think prepping with poor equipment. I peeled 120 irregular shaped pears last year in a friend's kitchen and all they had were the metal handled peelers....not fun at all.

Or not being able to use electricity on Sat. in the synagog....IEEEE.. it amazes me how long it takes to emulsify a gl of dressing with a whisk.

14. lynne

lynne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Peeling asparagus!

15. foodnfoto

foodnfoto

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    OMG, Shroomgirl. That sounds like a nightmare? No electricity? Didn't you have to serve 100+ people for that gig?
    You poor thing!!!

16. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hey shroom..

Didn't you know that going into the event about sabbath?

If you use a wee bit of mustard as a emoulsifier and be sure to add the acid before the fat you will be pleasantly suprised at how fast and effective it works.

I used to be a poissoneer at a highly regarded restaurant in the city. We would recieve 30 fresh black bass a day when in season. I had to eviserate them and scale them..I hate to scale fish,no matter how careful and gentle you are with the back of your knife they still fly all over the place,and stick to everything. I also was never to fond of being the one to panade things..wet hand, dry hand,just a pain in the arse.
    cc

17. mofo1

mofo1

Making polenta or prepping veggies for marinated salad. God, I can't believe I forgot this one: Deboning smoked salmon. Smell THAT for a week.

[ May 07, 2001: Message edited by: mofo1 ]

18. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    250 guests actually
    Well, I understood the oven, didn't think about my emersion blender....usually I think through this shtuff but when the dressing separated I automatically wanted to reach for the emersion blender...I normally put food for Sat together on Friday, this was the first big gig I've had in a synagog...
    Everything went well, I would alter very little....but the mustard is a great tip
    Thanks

19. coolj

coolj

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Since I work in the busiest restaurant (by volume) in Kamloops, I really should have a least favorite prep task, but I don't, I just sometimes find some of the tasks very monotonous. i.e. traying bacon (about 60-75 Lbs daily). hulling potatos for skins (50 Lbs every 2 days). I used to hate friday mornings, because fridays used to be "fish friday" and I would have to cut, portion, batter and blanch in oil, anywhere from 30 to 50 lbs of halibut.

20. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Cleaning a whole case of baby artichokes has got to be one of my least favorite jobs. Also going through crabmeat looking for stray shells.