Your Interpretation of the Titanic Menus?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by phatch, Apr 16, 2012.

1. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Pick a dish, tell us how you'd make it today.

Courtesy of http://www.webtitanic.net/framemenu.html, they show the menus as

So there are things I'm not sure what they are. Lamb Collops, American Dry Hash. Others just make me wonder, like the Consomme with Tapioca.

A place in Texas did a $12,000/plate reproduction of the First Class 4/14 menu. http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/world/53917370-68/titanic-roberts-course-lewis.html.csp

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  2. ishbel

ishbel

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Collops is the word used here in Scotland for escallopes, probably because Scottish food was influenced by the French at the time of the Auld Alliance!  I do a very nice collops of venison with a redcurrant sauce.

3. berndy

berndy

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Lamb Collops would be pan-fried bone-less lamb medallions,

I have no idea what an american dry hash could be ???

Consomme with tapioca was very often served all over Europe in the 50's and 60's, very tasty and was nick-named fish-eye soup because of its looks

4. phatch

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Yes, I've found a few versions of the Consomme with Tapioca, but haven't done any searching yet for some of the others yet.

5. phatch

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Sharp sauce was another one I hadn't encountered before, but is fairly easily found.

6. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Found this on a site. Maybe gives more understanding to some of the dishes . Phatch, your menu is fully detailed.

And no, iceberg lettuce is nowhere to be found.

First Class

[​IMG]

Cockie Leekie? Essentially chicken soup with leeks.

Consomme Fermier? Translates to “Farmer’s clear soup” so many believe this to be a vegetable broth.

Fillets of Brill? Related to Turbot, Brill is an European ocean fish.

Eggs a L’Argeneuil? Garnished with asparagus, this egg dish is very similar to Eggs Benedict, parboiled in saltwater * then slowly cooked in butter, topped with cream and croutons.

Chicken Ala Maryland? From what Historians can ascertain, this was basically a fried chicken dish.

Apple Meringue? Sauteed mashed apples served in souffle manner topped with a meringue.

Salmon Mayonnaise? Simply salmon baked with mayonnaise placed on top until fish is cooked and mayo is browned slightly.

Potted Shrimp? A British favorite. Cooked shrimp in spiced butter placed into ramekins and topped with more spiced butter. Placed in fridge until congealed and then served with toast.

Soused Herring? Yep, drunk off of being in a bath of hard apple cider.

Galantine of Chicken? An early precursor to the Turduken perhaps. Minced meat and savories stuffed into a whole boneless chicken and then closed up and cooked.
    Code:

Second Class

[​IMG]

Consomme Tapioca? While there is an element of tapioca used in this recipe, the rich, clear broth sees most of it’s flavor derived from beef, veal and chicken found in the ingredients.

Baked Haddock with Sharp Sauce? Of course Haddock is well known, the sauce in question is derived from combining shallots, egg yolks, anchovies (sounds similar to Caesar dressing) mustard, capers & vinegar. Sharp sauce could be served hot or cold, by varying cream or a thin gravy as one of the ingredients.

Coconut Sandwich? Cousin to the Macaroon, this was typically two coconut cookies bookmarking a mixture of coconut and butter cream.

Third Class

[​IMG]

7. ishbel

ishbel

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Cock a leekie soup is a traditional Scottish clear chicken soup with leeks and rice - oh and the original recipe also uses prunes, but my family receipt doesn't bother with them!

8. berndy

berndy

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Iceberg lettuce was not known yet in England 100 years ago/img/vbsmilies/smilies/peace.gif

9. ishbel

ishbel

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I have to admit - I'm slightly sick of ALL the Titanic stuff that's been on UK TV over the past few days.

10. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    That line was part of the article . /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

11. berndy

berndy

Exp:
    Retired Chef
     I made my post in reply to chef PETALSANDCOCO's remark that Iceberg lettuce was nowhere to be found. Since PETALSANDCOCO  posted menus I assumed that this remark  referred to the fact  Iceberg lettuce was nowhere to be found on the menu,and wanted to tell you all why there was no Iceberg lettuce there.

12. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Following is the link  in reference to the menu and the iceburg quote, I was just being facetious by including that.....

http://www.sogoodblog.com/2012/04/11/final-meals-ss-titanic-iceberg-lettuce-notable-absent/

Petals.

ps. They touch on the consomme with tapioca idea but I am still wondering it that is what the truly meant ?

"Consomme Tapioca? While there is an element of tapioca used in this recipe, the rich, clear broth sees most of it’s flavor derived from beef, veal and chicken found in the ingredients."

13. margcata

margcata Banned

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Thanks for the interesting post. I had seen a documentary on Canal Cocina in Spain on the topic.

Have nice wkend.

Margaux Cintrano.

( Margcata. )

14. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I was tempted to initiate a new Thread: Your last dinner.

Chefs and amateurs posting a selection of exquisite, unique dishes and wines for a last dinner before iceberg.

15. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    A TRUE CLASSICAL MENU.. Not only Consomme with tapioca garnish but  some others are a consomme Royal which is an egg custerd cut diamond shape.Or Cellestine which is a julianne of crepe .Or Chiffonade =- a julianne of bib lettuce. There are hundreds of reconized garnishes for basic consomme. Some are a bit wierd  .Then there is  Terepin Amontillado  =Turtle meat and sherry.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  16. duckfat

duckfat

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Now there's something I haven't had in a while. Gives me flash backs of the Green Turtle in Islamorada back in the glory days.

Right now the Titanic exhibit is at the Henry Ford. Last Saturday on the anniversary of the titanic they did a special dinner. Champagne arrival, music from the White Star line during dinner and a special program at 11:40 PM the same time the ship hit the Iceberg.

First Class
    Display
    Carved Fresh Fruit and Pineapple Array
    Hors d'Oeuvres
    Potage St. Germaine Shooter
    Salmon Mousseline Spoon with Cucumber
    Canapés a la Admiral

Second Class
    First Course
    Consommé Tapioca with Shaved Truffle

Second Course
    Roast Turkey with Savory Cranberry Sauce, Turnip Purée, Green Peas and Roasted Potatoes
    Coffee and tea

Third Class
    Dessert
    Plum Pudding with Sweet Sauce     

Dave

17. foodnfoto

foodnfoto

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Might the consomme tapioca have been the broth with a few large pearl tapioca (like small dumplings) floating in it for just a little chew? That with shaved truffle would be delicious.

18. foodnfoto

foodnfoto

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    How is Eggs a l'Argenteuil made?

19. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Have not made in about 30 years but I remember it was soft boiled eggs with an asparagus puree mixed into a Chaudfroid sauce and the coated with Aspic. Served cold naturally. 

I have seen it served in the standing shell of the egg as well as in small monkey like dishes. I don't think anyone  does this anymore. I was lucky to have worked in all the old NY hotels ad saw all of this type of food. All those places are gone now  The Astor, Commidore ,Old Essex House, Manhattan, New Yorker, Biltmore .All have seen the Wrecking Ball , but they can't take away the memories.

20. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    We got to see the Titanic Exibition here in Arizona, not large as I believe it was the traveling Exibition
    The post that Petals put up with copies of the menus I found interesting
    The Third Class Steerage menu states at the bottom of the page:
    Any complaint respecting the food supplied, want of attention or incivilityshould be at once reported to the Purser or Chief Steward...
    This just struck me somehow