Your favorite single ingredient

Joined Oct 23, 2008
It's a real hard question to answer for me. If you had to narrow your ingredients into a single all time favorite ingredient (excluding salt and pepper) what would you say does it for you?

I think I'd have to say garlic for me. I enjoy garlic as an ingredient in more dishes of differing region and style than any other single ingredient I can think of. It's flavorful, a bit spicy, and healthy to boot!

Now see if you can decide on a single one! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/rollsmile.gif

Joined Apr 3, 2008
Onions and garlic is standard for me. 

Favorite at the moment is juniper berries.  It turns gamey meat into gold! 

Joined Apr 3, 2008
it would have to be garlic for me as well...mmm....onions are a close second.

Joined Mar 3, 2007
Love.

BDL
 Good answer. We were taking the piss in baking at college, and our instructor actually told us that love was NOT the secret ingredient in everything. I think a part of me died that day../img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

Without giving it too much thought:

Butter.

Joined Apr 6, 2010
Wine, you may not call it an ingredient but I consider it one when you are pairing wines and food as it compliments the dish as if it were an actual ingredient. 

But to answer your question in a less out of the box way:

Cheese

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
Who could pick just one? 

Lemon, Garlic and Rosemary is one of my favorite combinations. Each separately is also quite good.

I suppose I could make an argument that the soy bean is my favorite single ingredient but that's more for what it can be turned into that makes so many things good. Soy sauce, hoisin, bean paste, tofu....

Joined Nov 5, 2007
Definitely a tough question.  My answer would have to come from one of these three:

Meat

Vegetables

Seasonings

As side ingredients that make so much other cooking possible, I'm undecided between butter and eggs.

mjb.

Latest posts

Top Bottom