Your favorite main course that excludes garlic and onions as ingredients?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by philip terry, Dec 17, 2011.

1. philip terry

philip terry

Exp:
    Food Editor
    In my opinion, all the best main courses do include garlic, onion but..... what is your favorite dish without these vital ingredients?

I really need to think this one over myself.... :)

Thanks,

2. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Just the other day I roasted a large filet of salmon rubbed with olive oil, salt, pepper and hot paprika.  The sides had onions and garlic though.  I have a hard time thinking of a main without onions and/or garlic.

3. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Y'all never heard of steak? Ya know; salt, pepper, and heat. That's the dish./img/vbsmilies/smilies/licklips.gif

There are a few, certainly. But, in general, you're right. Most main dishes have some sort of allium; onions, garlic, leeks, scallions, chives. Something in that family as part of the aromatics.

It's been said that onions are the only universal ingredient because it's the only one used in virtually every cuisine. I don't know if that's actually true, but it's completely believable.

4. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Steak, pork or chicken cutlets in a pan fry/sear/pan sauce, lots of seafood options, eggs benedict is something I enjoy for dinner now and then. Cheese souffle.

5. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    i not only agree with phillip, i will also add that to me garlic and onions are a food group....they're not?...but right off the top....

even though garlic and onions are part of a recipe, these foods can all be adapted quite successfully...

tamales

burritos

enchiladas

chiles rellenos

anything with chipotles in adobo sauce

risottos(beet, mushroom, asparagus, gorgonzola, peas,etc. etc. etc.)

lasagne (eggplant, vegetable, italian sausage)

lots of pasta dishes(alfredo, creamy basil pesto or sundried tomato sauce, carbonara)  all with lots of parmegiano reggiano

anything curried...stews, tagines etc.

stir frys

grains  

roasted vegetables

souffles

joey

6. philip terry

philip terry

Exp:
    Food Editor
    it's difficult... that's why I asked the question :)

KYHeirloomer, how would you describe in words the difference in flavor for each of those ingredients you mentioned...?

7. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    One thing to keep in mind, Philip, is that unlike the wine folks, we really don't have a common language precise enough to describe these things. Most of our terms are so broad as to almost be meaningless. For instance, sugar, molassas, etc. are all described as sweet. But so, too, are carrots. And late-season turnips. And onions.  Yet, few would claim that sugar and carrots have the same flavor. And, for sure, neither of them resemble onion. As noted above, there is more to flavor than just the four receptor tastes.

A lot, too, depends on the sensitivity of one's palette. You ask, f'rinstance, for differences between those alliums, when, in fact, there are often greater differences between different varieties of each one. White common onions, and red torpedo onions are both onions, but they have distinctly different flavor profiles. And, when it comes to garlic, give it up. There are on the order of 550 varieties, with vast flavor differences among them. Peple with less descerning palettes might not tell them apart, whereas those with more sensitive receptors notice even slight differences.

Once you throw in other factors, such as heat, you can really come a cropper trying to describe these nuances. Again, with garlic, there are different levels of heat, different parts of the mouth where you sense it, different ways the heat presents.

Even such authorities as Chester Aaron use descriptors that really don't mean all that much. Here, for instance, are a few garlic varieties and how he describes their flavors. I would submit that, after reading them, you really don't know much more than you did:

Siberian: Strong flavor, quite hot.

Armenian: Strong earthy flavor.

Inchelium Red: Mild but lingering flavor; can sharpen with storage

Red toch: Raw taste described as perfect garlic flavor

Chesnok Red: Good aroma and rich, lingering flavor

Xian: Taste is not too hot but very rich

Xian happens to be one of my favorite garlics. Having tasted it I, perhaps, understand what he means by "very rich." But left to my own devices, I wouldn't have used those words. I might describe its flavor as deep and mellow. But, again, unless you've experienced it, "deep and mellow" as as meaningless as "strong earthy."

these foods can all be adapted quite successfully...

Yeah, they can be, Joey. But why would you want to?

Me, I'm on your side: if alliums aren't a food group they should be.

8. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    no, ky, i don't want to...i was answering the question asked...i think.....

joey

9. curious mac

curious mac

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Ky, add ramps to your list.

10. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Stuffed Cabbage does not need garlic or onion.

11. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Ky, add ramps to your list.

Wasn't intended as an all-encompassing list, Mac. There are so many possibilties, even ones more commonly available than ramps, such as shallots.

If you want to really experience alliums that taste different, try rakkyo, top-setting onions, and bulbing leeks other than elephant garlic. Some really unique flavors there.

12. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Stuffed Cabbage does not need garlic or onion.

Need? Mebbe not. But a little onion in the filling sure doesn't hurt.

13. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Like the "Tic-Tac" commercial*: Sure, but why would you?

* Can you breathe without Tic-Tac? Sure, but why would you?

14. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    How did I know you would answer this?

15. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook

It does if you want it to taste good.

16. philip terry

philip terry

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Perhaps a good test of ingenguity for a chef, coming up with something 'great' without taking the easy options... The question revolves around “what can the chef accomplish” given this constraint.

Thanks for the names.... I put continual effort into drawing any distinction (no matter how small) between varieties of ingredients. I think this is the road to utopic cookery... otherwise we'd just settle for what is available, but what if we want to take it to the next level? Perhaps discussing it here is not the easiest medium to find answers about flavor variations. Although, we can talk in terms of what gives us the most pleasure, what is compatible with some of these unusual varieties of onion/ garlic.... any interesting findings. As for the wine tasters, I think they are just so used to reading adjectives all day from the wine bottles, that they incorporate these into their everyday vocabulary like - "artichokey, apricotty, citrus notes etc...."

I did an experiment yesterday by doubling the amount of garlic and red onion I would usually use in my morrocan spiced pheasant, given this discussion. I also had another version without it.

I also added extra raw red onion towards the end to give it a bit of extra kick and extra crunch. It definitely intensified the pleasure I got from the dish. The one without did not come close. 

Garlic and Onion to me are inescapable.... unless I can be proven wrong with a recipe!?

17. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
  18. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I make it sweet and sour Jewish style .Mine taste good without it.

19. dc sunshine

dc sunshine

Exp:
    Other
    How about Pizza?  Can easily see many not using either garlic or onions.

20. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Philip !  Is that your opinion, or general fact????  If it is fact don't bet on it.