Your favorite Entrée?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by jah42, Mar 9, 2019.

1. jah42

jah42

Exp:
    Former Chef
    For me, the entrée is usually the highlight of a dinner.

My favourite are variations of beef tartar.
    This time tartar with chipotle, sun dried tomato, lime/rosepepper dip and finally well aged parmesan cheese topping. All served on top of butter fried toast.

What is your favorite?

Screenshot_20190309-203648_Gallery.jpg

2. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    In the US we would call this a starter. Ironically, entree here means "main dish." Restaurants here usually have appetizers, maybe the fancier ones have starters. Oh well, no matter what you call it, I enjoy anything with fois gras :)

Emojitsu likes this.
  3. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    The best fois gras I ever had was actually a duck liver version of chopped chicken liver. It may have had some fois gras for fat content, but I'm pretty sure it was mostly regular duck liver. I was a bit disappointed when finally the "real" thing in pure form, comparatively bland.

I'd say the best "starter" ever I had was seared smoked duck breast sitting atop a very fine raspberry syrup.

I'm amazed that I have never had steak tatar of any kind, unless a very rare steak qualifies. It's never been anything on my mind but I'm sure though I'd enjoy it muchly with just a squirt of lime or lemon juice.

4. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    duck confit and truffle mousse on a cheddar bacon cracker with white pomegranate arils

dectra likes this.
  5. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    It depends on my mood, but usually some type of game. It doesn't get anymore "organic" or "free range" than that.

6. harpua

harpua

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Anything crispy, warm and cheesy with caramelized onions...

Anything stuffed with mushroom duxelles...

Coconut shrimp

7. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Osso Bucco with lots of sauce

dectra likes this.
  8. SFSkies

SFSkies

Exp:
    Avid Home Cook
    Not sure I have a favorite, but my preference is something original made from fresh ingredients.

I’ve been experimenting with making “pesto” from various types of vegetables including radish tops, carrot tops, eggplant (e.g. baba ghanoush), peas. None of these are completely original, but as spring and summer produce becomes available, I’ll combine them with other ingredients. Maybe something worthwhile will develop.

9. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Your learning will develop. What can better than that? If I am not learning, it means that I am stagnating. Stagnation leads to decay. Decay might be good for compost, but not for humans.

10. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I think mine would be garlicky piri piri prawns.
    I'll have them as starter, main course and I am sure I wouldn't mind them as desert
    (sometimes living in a landlocked country sucks...)