You wont freaking believe this act of stupidity

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by eato, Jul 3, 2011.

1. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef

I think the majority of people, while not agreeing with the term "dishrat," had more of an issue with your apparent lack of leadership and respect. Refer to them how you wish, just don't turn around and call him a bonehead because you or your sous chef didn't train the guy properly. 

But hey, I guess cursing at your staff and calling them names is your idea of "fair treatment." You sound like a gem of a chef. 

2. allium

allium

Exp:
    Line Cook
    WOW.

Kitchen staff = thick skinned. No one should be bothered by a chef being hard on someone or calling people dishrats. This ain't office work where your boss is supposed to coddle you and give motivational speeches. There ARE a number of chefs who take things too far and are completely out of line, but nothing said in this thread suggests that is the case with eato. Chill out.

3. rgm2

rgm2

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Hahaha Allium, Yes you do have to be thick skinned. To me something might be demeaning, but to someone else maybe not. I was his "dishrat" I would just laugh inside when he called me that... It is all a matter of context, and intention does not come across very well in written form. From a leadership perspective, I treat everyone with as much respect as I want to in return. Some think that leading by example is enough... The way I do it works for me, though I have seen others and they get along just as well or better. Gordon Ramsey is a proper prick and he is very successful and seems to have all his staffs respect. To each his own I guess.

This is what I like about reading this forum, you can get a ton of perspectives and you just filter out the stuff that doesn't make sense to you. 

4. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Eh... Leadership is a very personal thing.

I can hate a persons guts but still respect them, even if they give me crap back--right up to the day I fire them, I'll still be smiling.

One of the first and best things I ever learned about leadership was "never work them (employees) harder than you work yourself". This has been very good advice , advice I have followed for about 20 years now.

I've heard a lot of stories about G. Ramsey, with some of his ex-employes hanging up their own shingle here in Vancouver.  When asked by the media about him (Ramsey) the response was not particularily flattering.....

5. leeniek

leeniek

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    As long as you respect your staff and they respect yof that is what counts in the long run.  I'm only nine years into this business (despite my advanced age   /img/vbsmilies/smilies/tongue.gif) and this is a second career for me so I may be a bit more sensitive to terms or whatever than the next person. 

I'm with Foodpump when it comes to leadership... and I have always never asked the guys to do anything I would not do myself.  If there is something I am uncomfortable with I ask for help and when I see someone doing that same task I'm right there to offer help. 

6. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I'm on the other side of the coin. I do not jump in and I certainly don't expect a manager to jump in.

As owner, my job description is to do the things I need to do to keep the doors open and to make sure the business is able to support the families of employees.

As a manager, it is not thier job description to do others work, their job is to make sure the work gets done.

If I walk into the kitchen and see a manager at the pot sink. I don't consider that as being a leader. That tells me he is not doing his job. Every minute at the dish pit is a minute lost at managing. Our job descriptions are very thorough and exact. Something will suffer from that time not being manager.

If business requires more labor on a station I expect my manager to see that things are handled. If I walk in and the AM and PM washers are both there

or if someone is in on their day off, I get excited.  I know that my manager has evaluated the business and revenue and made the call to cover. That means were making more money for all.

This may not be a conventional concept but works for our small group. It's the only way I have found to keep things moving forward. I preach to everyone that they need to work themselves out of the job. I started the place as a pastry cook and as I moved forward the people behind me moved. My manager has been with me for 20+ years. He begged to get off the dishes

and train in the bakery. He is probably the most talented and well compensated Pastry Chef in the city. He gains a percentage of the business each year and now has a pretty good

share of ownership as do the rest of the production people. Our newest cook has been with us 9 yrs. Most 10-14yr. We have no schedules, no time cards and things of that nature.

Everyone is salary. Our books are open and we profit share on a weekly basis. Everyone has ownership. It keeps the shop clean, no riding clocks, no stealing and things of that nature.

I walked out of the kitchen 2 years ago and took an office off property. I look forward to moving on to something else and my manager moving into my job.

This is meaningless and long for most but someone might get something out of it.

pan