You will need a pot of gold

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by dagger, Mar 12, 2015.

1. dagger

dagger

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    Just got the ads for new week and can't believe it. Corn beef $2.99 - $7.99 lbs., has the world gone crazy! I don't remember last time I bought corn beef for saint patricks day being this much. :(

2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Beef started spiking big when fuel prices spiked. Then feed corn was incentivized for fuel alcohol. Those two combined pushed beef high about 5 years ago. Higher price dropped consumption. Which shifts the demand price curve, affecting production choices. Add in green eating choices, beef needs the most feed and water for yielded pound.

So yeah, beef got expensive and has stayed expensive. The current drop in gas prices may cut price, but we won't know until next year probably.

3. meezenplaz

meezenplaz

Exp:
    Sous Chef, Event Manager
    When prices get exorbitant, I stop buying it. My eating habits have changed several

times in my life due to this very phenomenon. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

4. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Me too, I do a lap around the market and see what's on sale before I plan anything.  What's a grocery list?

5. dagger

dagger

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    Yeah everyone has a reason for high pices, oil companys, food company, MTA need I go on. Only reason is GREED! No matter whagt reason they give it comes down to profits, like the government crying poverty. Got nothing for medical programs but trillions for some third world country no problem. I just can't believe how much everything went up in just a few months I was out of action.

6. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Profits aren't evil. If the grower's not making a profit, he won't be producing it at all for next year. 

7. chicagoterry

chicagoterry

Exp:
    Home Cook
    And as far as spending trillions on foreign assistance, foreign aid is only around 1% of the US budget expenditure every year. Foreign aid is not where money is going.

8. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other
    I've heard it goes on sale the day after St. Patrick's Day.  Noticed the rising cost of turkey breast (around Thanksgiving).  Sometimes, I do a "Mary Tyler Moore" - roll my eyes, and just toss it in the cart anyway lol

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  9. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    It absolutely goes on sale.  That's a good time to pick up store bought corned beef and smoke yourself some pastrami.  Not as good as homemade all the way, but much less work.

10. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Oh yeah I'm buying some briskets after St.Patty's day.  They go right in the freezer for my "Rube GoldBurgers" this summer.

11. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    GOOD POINT!!! You know what I just realized? I couldn't care less about St Patrick's day, it's more of an excuse to have an idea for a menu and to explore a dish I wouldn't have otherwise cooked. But I can live with celebrating the day after!! Great idea. 

12. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other
    I feel pretty much as you do about SPD, FF.  Not a huge fan of corned beef.  If I had an extra fridge or freezer, I would stock up on turkey, after Thanksgiving.  I luv turkey.  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/bounce.gif

Although... I wouldn't mind trying one of these triple-decker, turkey etc. sandwiches in San Diego. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/rollsmile.gif/img/vbsmilies/smilies/eek.gif

13. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    Corned beef once a year as a meal with potato, carrot, cabbage yes. Reuben sandwiches I can eat fairly often! And I like to smoke, slice and vacuum pack corned beef for fake pastrami throughout the year.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  14. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I'm seriously considering just getting a couple packs of corned beef and throwing them in the crock pot for tomorrow morning's meal in the park. I could also boil some potatoes and throw them in to rewarm in the morning.  Hmm...

mjb.

15. genemachine

genemachine

Exp:
    Home Cook
    St. Patrick was a stick-up-his-arse ascetic anyway. Strange to celebrate him with food and beer, he would not approve :)

16. dagger

dagger

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    Costco had 2 big freezer things full of it, $22 - $32 not many people buying. It's just a pickled brisket

17. dagger

dagger

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    Yeah stop shopping price per lb, just final cost of package. Costco needs to do something about cost of their packs, just way to high. Saw one for $110.00 was a big chunk of beef over foot long. I starting to thing costco and bjs savings aren't there anymore, do better in a super market.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  18. mikelm

mikelm

Exp:
    Home Chef
    We took my wife's mother to a good local restaurant for Mothers Day- it was packed to the roof and service from the harried staff took forever.  We went a favorite local Irish restaurant for Saint Patrick's Day- the bar was full, the tables were full, the aisles were full. The servers couldn't get through and it was literally difficult to raise your drink to your mouth when we finally got served 

I was probably the only one of Irish descent (my mother's side) in the place, aside from some of the staff.

Since then, if we're going out for a holiday meal, we go a day or maybe a week later./img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif  

Mike