You Ate WHAT? Contest.: Gold Medal Winner

Joined Aug 23, 2000
I know the topic of gross food has been kicked around before but I found this and had to share:

A Wall St. Journal dispatch from Nuoro, Sardinia, described the locals' love for casu marzu ("rotten cheese"): brown lumps made from sheep's milk crawling with wriggling maggots (the larvae of flies), whose enzymes cause the original pecorino cheese to decompose. Though the delicacy is banned by the government, the black market has pushed the price to more than $7 a pound, double that for worm-free pecorino. Local gourmands disdainfully dismiss any portions that are so stale that the maggots in them have died.

An excerpt: "Enzymes produced by the maggots cause the cheese to ferment and its fats to decompose. The result is a viscous, pungent goo that burns the tongue and can affect other parts of the body. One neophyte experienced a strange crawling sensation on his skin that lasted for days. And some of the wiggling worms jump straight toward the eyes with ballistic precision. To protect the eyes, some Sardinians recommend holding a hand over the sandwich."

I'll eat all the lamb eyeballs you want, just keep the hopping maggots off my plate and out of my eyes.

[This message has been edited by Live_to_cook (edited 12-23-2000).]

Joined Aug 11, 2000
Yep that was the article I read and quoted not as elaborately as you did, really gross huh?!!! I think that is tops. We had a thread before you joined us on Gross food that ran close to 100 entries...got lost when Nicko was gone into a computer black hole, boy there were some really good ones....gross ones.

Joined Aug 23, 2000
I was thinking so too, but hang on a sec. Nick.Shu: Just what are witchity grubs? Are they in fact insect larvae, included deliberately in an omlette? What kind of baby insect are you forking down?

And "not cheap"? How much did you pay for the privilege?

[This message has been edited by Live_to_cook (edited 12-25-2000).]

Joined Jul 18, 2000
witchetty grubs are small grubs liberated from the bush by the aboriginal locals. They are a little nutty, with quite a soft texture.

i have a link to the supplier (bush foods are quite expensive, due to the cultivation techniques.
http://www.bushtucker.com.au

Worth a look.

Joined Jul 18, 2000
ps, i have heard of a french cheese that will not ripen without the effects of a particular species of mites.

Very spectacular.

Joined Aug 23, 2000
Jolly good try Nick.Shu, but unless the larvae actually fling themselves into your mouth, I think you're going to have to settle for silver on this one.

Joined Jul 18, 2000
to get those critters live, you have to go into the outback with aboriginal guides, they dont actually dance into your mouth vis a vis some small childs curious and creative mind, but they do wriggle.

This post actually reminds me of the beast that was in "restaurant at the end of the universe" which was actually presented at the table live and made recommendations as to the best cut of meat off it.

heheh, new dish - witchetties a la congo.

Joined Aug 23, 2000
Wait, Nick.Shu -- don't leave off the genius part of Douglas Adams' scene -- that the cow was bred to be

1. determined to kill itself for your dining pleasure, relieving the sensitive diner of the guilt of contributing to the death of an animal...

2. able to say so out loud...

Joined Aug 11, 2000
welllll geeee after Kobe's party hardy and drink tons of beer, get massages daily if not more often I think they feel an obligation to slit their coartid (sp) artory for our enjoyment.....it's the Japanese cow version of obiligatory sacrafices. (oh man where's my spell check when I really ned it)

Joined Jul 18, 2000
i believe the magic of the creature was its complete lack of disregard for its fate and also, it would be very hard to send back overcooked meat that has been personally recommended by the animal itself.

Hehheh.

Joined Aug 11, 2000
Welcome chefgup!! I didn't know Turkeys had testicals anymore...commercial ones are all artifically inseminated....you don't use it you lose it.

Joined Aug 11, 2000
Amazing.....Mofo you are something else...I haven't laughed this hard in a long time.
Oh man buried calf head...kinda like kimchee the longer buried the better....

Joined Dec 30, 1999
Live_to_cook,

How did I miss this thread? There are certain cultures you simply have to be raised in to appreciate certain traditions eh? Have I mentioned the live baby octopus?

:eek:

Joined Nov 20, 2000
Not completely the same but there is an Eskimo delicacy that involves burying seal and or whale blubber and innards until they ferment and rot. This to them is a delicacy.
It brings to mind the book "Alive" about the soccer players who crashed in the Andes mountains and had to live off their fallen comrades. Sad and gross as it is, it is an interesting read as to what they did with their "meat". Skulls for dishes, craving the fetid flavor for the salt from their nutritionless diet. As an interesting side note, due to the advent of modern convenience devices there was an epidemic many years ago of Eskimos dying from Botulism poisoning due to the practice mentioned above, but this time instead of burying it in tne tradiional blubber "sack" they used Tupperware thereby creating an airtight seal in which the bacteria thrived.

Hey look at me, I must be healing! I'm getting long winded again!!! :rolleyes:

Joined Aug 23, 2000
cchiu,

So what's the attraction for live baby octopus? Is it the freshness? Is there a sauce? The fact that it squirms and you eat it? Do you chew?

I'm serious, maybe you could explain.

Joined Aug 12, 2000
I understand that baby octopus canned in chili oil makes a wonderful garnish in your saketini. (6 parts topnotch vodka, 1 part sake)

Joined Aug 29, 2000
Speaking of nasty things.... anyone catch Iron Chef last night? It was the conger eel competition. I'd heard that eels are vivisected (cut up while alive) and wasn't sure it was true, but they showed it on the show. I won't be eating eel again (yes, I've eaten it smoked in Denmark). I thought I was so lucky to get to watch the show while visiting relatives, but turned it off. :(

Joined Aug 4, 2000
Once upon a time in my gentle and placid youth, I went to the circus. 'Twas my very first circus, and my last. Thereupon I spied an old, wrinkled, and perhaps lonely elephant standing stately while swaying back and forth on all fours. You know how elephants are. I walked over to him and gently stroked his trunk. To my surprise, he sneezed in my face - thru his trunk. I really ate it! :eek: :eek: :p

Top Bottom