You are what you eat...

Joined Sep 5, 2008
This one was inspired by koukouvagia koukouvagia 's signature... and my 9 year old kid, who told me the other day:

If you are what you eat, then I shouldn't eat brussel sprouts, or I'll turn bad!

Joined Sep 21, 2001
I was shopping with my teenage son. We were in the produce section getting items for our meal when he grabs a bag of shredded cabbage and puts in in my cart and says 'We need to buy this for tonight. Its Cole's Law of Salad'.

Joined Sep 5, 2008
I don't get it. Do brussels sprouts turn bad?
Just playing on the myth that kids don't like brussel sprouts... so if they're bad and he eats them, he'll become bad as well.. 9 year old joke. ;) My son actually loves brussel sprouts.

iceman said:
Get your kid some psychological help.
No idea why you would say such a thing.

Joined Apr 3, 2008
Just playing on the myth that kids don't like brussel sprouts... so if they're bad and he eats them, he'll become bad as well.. 9 year old joke. ;) My son actually loves brussel sprouts.

Oh haha I get it. Kids have their own sense of humor. My kid loves sprouts too. Being a foodie has its perks, my kid eats real food rather than sticking to the American purgatory of pizza, nuggets and mac n cheese.

I do worry however that I'm turning into a potato.

Joined Jan 15, 2012
"You are what you eat."

That's why I avoid nuts!

And chicken, and turkey. (nor really, just don't want to become any more of them than I am. ;-)

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
I used to hate brussel sprouts as a kid but I think that is because my parents cooked them to the point of being mushy and then dumped a bunch of vinegar on them. I love them now, but I learned much better ways of cooking them and they still have a bit of crunch to them.

Joined Aug 21, 2004
Yeah, Brussels sprouts aren't inherently bad...they can however they can turn bad due to preparation. LOL...shudder...childhood memories. :~)

Joined Apr 3, 2008
I don't kno what people were thinking preparing vegetables that way. The only vegetable I enjoy over cooked is potatoes and green beans. And eggplant. And tomatoes. Everything else must have some texture and flavor.

Vinegar on Brussels sprouts? Not yum!

Why!? Why do they overcook them till they're mush!?!?

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Yeah, Brussels sprouts aren't inherently bad...they can however they can turn bad due to preparation. LOL...shudder...childhood memories. :~)

KouKou said:
I don't kno what people were thinking preparing vegetables that way. The only vegetable I enjoy over cooked is potatoes and green beans. And eggplant. And tomatoes. Everything else must have some texture and flavor.

Vinegar on Brussels sprouts? Not yum!

Why!? Why do they overcook them till they're mush!?!?

I don't know where Pete or cheflayne is from, but that is a classic New England side dish: mushy over-cooked smelly Brussels Sprouts drowned in vinegar from the cruet that lived on the dining room table. Boiled cabbage got the same treatment, as did broccoli.

I was so happy when I finally grew up and was cooking for myself... I was liberated from both overcooked veg and that damned vinegar cruet.

"LOL...shudder...childhood memories."

Last edited:

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
I don't kno what people were thinking preparing vegetables that way. The only vegetable I enjoy over cooked is potatoes and green beans.
Still my favorite way to eat green beans is the way my mother used to make-big pot, lots of bacon and onion and cooked them for what seemed like hours. Amazingly, they still held together but were pretty soft, but oh so flavorful!

Joined Sep 5, 2008
Green beans do benefit from a longer cooking time that is usually observed in most American restaurants nowadays. They develop a taste that you just don't have in a 5-min-sauteed green bean. We boil ours for about 15mn on average, until tender, then saute them in butter with garlic and parsley, sprinkle with lemon juice before serving.

Overcooked potatoes? I don't like those. The starch starts to transform into sugar and they get that sugary taste that I don't like.

Smelly brussel sprouts.. yes I can relate, I've had those as well. As well as smelly cabbage, smelly cauliflower... Some bad school restaurant memories. But if you prepare them right (and there are a few ways to do so) then they can be a delight.

Joined Apr 3, 2008
I mean fully cooked potatoes. You can't eat potatoes al denté the way you can broccoli or sprouts. Must be cooked through.

Joined Jan 15, 2012
So far, Brussels sprouts are always nasty!

No help from Mom, though she was otherwise a great cook, the sprouts were from a box, frozen, cooked per box instructions
like peas, etc. They were nasty!..

Even with butter (margarine, in those days) they made me gag and almost puke. Sorry.

I've had them many times since I grew up, in stews, with bacon & garlic, but none have been "good" to my pallet.

George W. didn't like broccoli, I don't like the sprouts.

Oldarpanet

Latest posts

Top Bottom