yeast

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by anubis, Mar 29, 2005.

1. anubis

anubis

Does anyone know the conversions for differnt yeast ? All my recipes call for freeh yeast and it is hard to find around where I live . All the stores carry bakers yeast , or the little packets but my bread doesn't turn out the same . :cry:

2. jock

jock

Exp:
    At home cook
    Ounce for ounce you would use 40% of active dry yeast for the fresh called for in a recipe. So, for example, if your recipe calls for 1 oz of fresh yeast you would use 0.4 oz of active dry.

One envelope of active dry yeast is 0.25 oz and about 2 1/2 tsp. That makes one tsp about 0.1 oz, near as makes no difference.

Jock

3. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    This is from Nick Malgieri at I.C.E.

USING YEAST
    There are two principal forms of yeast: Active dry yeast and compressed (also called fresh or cake) yeast.

Active dry yeast is available in the following varieties: standard, really just cake yeast that has been dehydrated; rapid rise, which rises dough fully in about half the time of standard yeast; and instant blending, which may be mixed directly into flour without first being mixed with liquid, as standard yeast is. Active dry yeast is packaged in retail packages of three ¼ ounce envelopes and in bulk. Store dry yeast in a cool, dark, dry place.

Compressed yeast is packaged in 2/3-ounce cakes, 2-ounce cakes,1 pound blocks and in bulk --usually 36-pound blocks. Store compressed yeast, tightly wrapped, in the refrigerator. If the surface of compressed yeast becomes moldy, scrape mold off surface, before using.

To dissolve active dry yeast, whisk it into a warm liquid and allow it to stand several minutes to dissolve; whisk again to disperse the dissolved yeast evenly in liquid. Though yeast dissolves more easily in water, many formulas call for adding yeast to milk. If you are dissolving yeast in milk, be careful that it does not lump when it Is whisked in.

To dissolve compressed yeast, crumble and whisk it into a warm liquid; compressed
    yeast dissolves immediately in liquid.

YEAST MATH
    The following conversions make it possible to substitute one form of yeast for another.
    I envelope dry yeast = 2 1/2 teaspoons by volume
    I envelope dry yeast = 1/4 ounce by weight
    I envelope dry yeast = 2/3 ounce compressed yeast in rising power

Therefore, 2 1/2 teaspoons or 1/4 ounce dry yeast is equal to 2/3 ounce compressed
    yeast.

1 1/2 envelopes dry yeast = about I plus 1 teaspoon by volume
    1 1/2 envelopes dry yeast = 3/8 ounce by weight
    1 1/2 envelopes dry yeast = I ounce compressed yeast in rising power

Therefore, I tablespoon plus I teaspoon or 3/8 ounce dry yeast is equal to I ounce compressed
    yeast.

1. Multiply envelopes of dry yeast by 2/3 to determine ounces of compressed yeast.
    2. Multiply ounces of dry yeast by 8/3 to determine ounces of compressed yeast.
    3. Multiply ounces of compressed yeast by 3/8 to determine ounces of dry yeast.
    4. Multiply ounces of compressed yeast by 3/2 to determine number of envelopes of dry
    yeast.

Copyright (c) Nick Malgieri 1996, All Rights Reserved