Chef Forum banner

Yeast equivalents

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  thebighat 
#1 ·
Hi! I am having a difficult time with yeast. I have found an old cook book with some interesting basic recipes but they are asking for cakes of compressed yeast. I have active dry yeast, but really prefer to used "live" yeast that I get at my local bakery. I cannot seem to find an equivalency for all the different types of yeast. Is there anyone that could help? Thanks so much.

#2 ·
hi isLander,

If my memory serves me right the conversion is 3/5 ounce of compressed yeast for every portion controlled packet of active dry yeast which is about a tablespoon.
Be aware however depending on what type you use I believe there is a difference of the tempature needed to activate the yeasts compressed around 80 degrees,it begins to dye at 120 and active dry yeast needs 105-115 to activate it. M brown- momoreg, does that sound correct to you guy's?
cc

#7 ·
My rule of thumb is to use 40% of the weight of the fresh yeast when using active dry and 33% when using instant. I never add the yeast to water and sugar to "proof it" as I use enough that it is fresh, and a lot of my formulas don't have white sugar in them. But I do dissolve it in warm water, and since I kept finding little grains of instant yeast in my croissant dough, I dissolve that now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.