X50Cr15MoV German Steel

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by indiglofish61, Dec 1, 2016.

1. indiglofish61

indiglofish61

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Does anyone know the difference between this X50Cr15MoV German Steel, and those Japanese made knives?

2. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Japanese knives with that same steel or other steels? It varies quite a bit. Typically Japanese steels are hardened more and they are forged/ ground thinner. These are all generalities only

3. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    millionsknives likes this.
  4. indiglofish61

indiglofish61

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Yea, I see those German knives I've seen are pretty thick compared to Japanese knives, The German steel on the Cangshan knives are like HRC 58+/-2 on the Rockwell hardness scale, So what does the /-2 mean? Just curious.

5. foody518

foody518

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Unless I'm mistaken Cangshan is likely to be Chinese made
    +/- as the range of uncertainty/variability

6. indiglofish61

indiglofish61

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Meaning it could be + or - 2?

7. foody518

foody518

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    If that is what they are claiming, then yes

8. indiglofish61

indiglofish61

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Its funny how most other manufactors know what the HCR is on their knives, the 58 they say with the +or - 2, that would make a difference, what do you think?

9. benuser

benuser

Exp:
    Home Cook
    What do you think it means?? Harder stuff is harder to work on, will take more time, so would it be 56 or 60Rc??

10. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    It is pretty much 56 HRC.   The +2 is wishful thinking.  

aliphares likes this.
  11. indiglofish61

indiglofish61

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I don't know Benuser, that's why I asked, I don't own one, of course harder stuff is harder to work on, duh..so.. softer then 60 or 61 HRC.

12. foody518

foody518

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I wonder, could it also point to worse QC/greater batch variability ? Or hardness differences between thicker and thinner parts of the blade

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  13. benuser

benuser

Exp:
    Home Cook
    technically it means 58 with a tolerance of 2 on both sides, between 56 and 60 also. I believe 56 is more likely than 60...

aliphares likes this.
  14. indiglofish61

indiglofish61

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I am almost thinking of getting one of those knives just to find out compared to my JCK knives.

15. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    There was a kickstarter Misen last year claimed 58 TO 59 hrc, chinese made. Tested at 51 hrc just saying. If you have money to spend I can recommend all types of stones, accessories, handle upgrades, etc

foody518 likes this.
  16. benuser

benuser

Exp:
    Home Cook
    If you want to understand anything about a steel type, see zkives.com

17. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    The variability in the RC rating is more reflective of the variability of the oven and the process.

The oven is not precisely the same temperature in all parts of the oven all of the time. Knives in different parts of the oven will have somewhat variable temper because of this, even from the same batch. 

These are done in batches and not necessarily all of the same blade stock is in the same batch. The maker usually contracts out the heat treat, except for the larger makers. The operator wants a full oven within the limits of the contracts. Other contracts the heat treatment has may be included with in the oven with different but compatible orders depending on the limits specified in the contract. 

As noted earlier, it more often varies down rather than up. 

When you get into cryo quenching, you can markedly improve the variabilty range, but that's also because blades intended for cryo quenching tend to be specced to tighter tolerances in the heat treatment.

If you like carbon steel, A2 is interesting because it air hardens giving good knife performance for an inexpensive quench. Sharpens nicely too, but is not as popular a steel as it once was.  Has 5% chrome too so it has better than usual rust resistance for a carbon steel. 

foody518 likes this.
  18. indiglofish61

indiglofish61

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Millionsknives, If I had money to spend on knives as stated by you I wouldn't be here asking you or Benuser, lol! I just wanted to know what HRC 58+/-2​, meant, didn't want a lecture on steel, you guys should get together and start making your own knives lol!

19. scott livesey

scott livesey

Exp:
    At home cook
    the HRC 58 +/-2 is the hardness tolerance.  for a mass produced knife that is a reasonable tolerance for them to hold.  I make my own blades because no mass producers can get the combination of handle size, handle shape, blade shape, and blade thickness right for me.  

scott

20. indiglofish61

indiglofish61

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Thanks. Scott Is making knives a hobby of yours? Or do you make em for a certain purpose?