Chef Forum banner

Writing A Cookbook

802 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  foodnfoto 
#1 ·
Hi Everybody!

Im new to this so please excuse any mistakes I make.

I'm currently in the process of writing a cookbook for university/college students. It's my first cookbook ever written and I don't know much about how food is at colleges. If any has any tips about what foods are more popular or information about ccooking in colleges. Also, if you had any tips about what foods are more popular. 

Thanks very much! Much appreciated 

#2 · (Edited)
I have heard on occasion that pizza, as well as certain carbonated fermented beverages are extremely popular on college campuses. Also asian cuisine, which for college blokes that are somewhat financially strapped includes a type of asian noodle dish with a savory flavor packet that is referred to as "ramen". /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

#4 ·
Before you even attempt this venture, I would learn about college students and campuses and their likes and dislikes, what they eat(beside Ramen noodles) uppity college habits as adversed to lower. Affluence of most students at the schools. etc. I would say at least 6 to 7 monthes of solid research. I wrote a book on fostering kittens and cats, it took me about 1 1/4 years of solid research and observation before I even started, then about 5 monthes to corolate and put together. But good luck anyhow.

#5 ·
Did I miss something?

Have you benn contracted to write this cookbook and are just now doing your research?

Why are you writing a cookbook about a subject you are not familiar with?

If you ever hope to get an agent to work out an agreement with a publisher, you must submit a query that represents your idea, your qualifications, a sample chapter, table of contents and sample recipes.

Most cookbooks are written by people who have specific interest and experience in their subject matter. Also, most often cookbooks are used as a promotional and marketing tool for the author's overall culinary career. Do not invest a lot of time, money and effort into writing a cookbook with the expectation of making any money from it. Just look at how quickly the latest release shows up discounted on the shelves of T J Maxx and Sam's Club- even the ones of well known chefs and food celebrities.

There are some wonderful books out there about how to manage a career of writing about food.
Check out Will Write For Food.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.