Wrapping it up....

Joined Aug 11, 2000
Generally I use morel or black trumpets with buttons make a duxelle, cool then roll in fillo making a cigar shape.

Years ago I had a brulee with raspberries in fillo cup I'm surprised they transferred the custard.....I knew they pre cooked the napolean version.

Joined Jul 24, 2001
Well, it's not an ancient dish!! The last time I made it was 2 months ago. I mean I know that Americans are fast but two months ago... it's not antiquity!!! :D

Joined Mar 7, 2002
Bonjour! Oh, how lovely! Dear Abby has been terribly busy but is so thrilled to be back. She has been visiting friends in Utah and returned just in time to visit with Dear Jane who was here for the Vagina Monologues in Rapid City. Ooo! What a wonderful production it was! But that, my dears, is another story.

Dear Abby was quite intrigued with mon petit Anneke's question regarding the Crème Brûlée. She, of course, asked her darling Henri.

Chef Henri provided this lovely recipe which, although it does not use phyllo, he stated one utilizes the same technique!

Crème Brûlée in Papaya

Serves 4

1 Vanilla Bean (preferably Tahitian)
4 cups Heavy Cream
8 Egg Yolks
3/4 cup Sugar
3 ripe Hawaiian Papayas
4 tbsp. Brown Sugar
Ripe raspberries, or other berries, for garnish

Slice the vanilla bean in half. Place in a saucepan with the cream. Bring to a boil, then immediately turn the burner off.

Beat the egg yolks and white sugar together in a stainless steel bowl until light in color.

Remove the vanilla bean from the hot cream. Pour the hot cream mixture slowly into the egg mixture, stirring constantly.

Peel, seed and dice 1 papaya and add to the cream mixture.

Place the mixture in an 8 x 8-inch glass baking dish, and bake for 70 minutes in a 300° F oven in a water bath (place dish in larger pan that is 3/4-filled with hot water) until it is almost set. It should be somewhat firm, but will still jiggle in the middle when the dish is shaken, like a custard.

After the mixture is baked, cool, then chill in the refrigerator for two or three hours (or overnight).

When ready to serve, cut the remaining 2 papayas in half and remove the seeds. Spoon the custard mixture into the halved papayas, sprinkle 1 tablespoon of brown sugar on top of each, and broil until the sugar is melted and caramelized. (The caramelized sugar will become a brittle crust when removed from the heat, creating a nice texture contrast with the creamy custard and soft fruit.) Garnish with berries.

Chef Henri also makes a version in which ripe pears are hollowed out and stuffed with the uncooked crème brûlée mixture before baking. It is truly exquisite!

Abby

Dear Abby apologizes. She must have been cranky yesterday.

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Sponsor
Joined Oct 5, 2001
We used to bake them in ramekins and then gently remove the custard making sure they had been chilled at least over night. The were pretty easy to work with and the wrapped fine in the phyllo.

Joined Jul 28, 2001
just to add: we used to tighten the custard a little bit extra, chill,cut squares, coat in any type crumb, freeze. Fry quickly till golden brown serve immediately with sauce. Sounds crazy!! I know, but we sold this to 70% of covers. One place stole it and called it fried creme brulee. Personally, I'm bruleed out.

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Sponsor
Joined Oct 5, 2001
Great idea paninni I will have to try that one. We also tightened up the creme brulee before we made it which made it much easier to work with.

Top Bottom