Would you trade???

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by joeycannoli, Jan 4, 2017.

1. joeycannoli

joeycannoli

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I have a thread not too old asking suggestions for a chefs knife. I ended up receiving a Shun Premier 7" Santoku from my fiancé for Christmas. It was an eBay purchase and returning is not an option. I figure I can relist and fetch about $120 after pp and eBay take their cut. I have a local guy that has offered to trade an 8" Shun Blue Kiritsuke (carbon) (retail $325) that looks almost brand new and comes with a Saya. Would you trade or should I sell my knife on EBay (much more work) and buy one of the gyutos suggested (around $150) in the previous thread?

2. jc57

jc57

Exp:
    Other
    The Shun Blue Kiritsuke is a significant trade-up in value from the Premier Santoku.  You should jump on that in a heartbeat.  Even among those who look down on Shun, the Blue product line is usually looked at with respect.  If he's local and will let you handle it, see if you like the feel and weight of it.

The Blue is not a true kritsuke since it is a symmetrical double bevel, so more like a gyuto with a kiritsuke tip.  Comes with a nice saya too.

That blue #2 steel will take a great edge though since it is reactive you'll need to take proper care of it - washing and drying after each use.  Since it is stainless clad it's only the edge you will have to worry about, but of course that's the important part.

If you don't want it, let me know and I'll mail the guy my like-new Premier 7" Santoku and pay his shipping costs to me. :)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  3. joeycannoli

joeycannoli

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Thanks for the advice. We are actually gonna meet up tomorrow and I'll likely do the swap.

4. laurenlulu

laurenlulu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    That's just rude. Your fiancé gave you a gift and you're telling her it's not good enough for you? smh

millionsknives and scott livesey like this.
  5. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I like the Shun blue better but I agree with @laurenlulu   it is rude to trade a gift from anyone let alone your fiance

6. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Hey Joey... that would be a very uneven trade... but you'd really benefit if you go through with it. The other person must be a bit of a fool.  :)

But not to get on your case about it... I tend to agree with the others. Gifts are funny things. On one hand, once its gifted to you its yours to do as you please. On the other hand, some choices can lead to unanticipated consequences. I'm especially aware of that when it is close family, or in your case when it is someone you may want to become close family. And just so you know how committed I am to that o[inion, check this out to see what is on my knife magnet, in full view of anyone in my kitchen, and actually gets used on occasion - it was a gift from my kids:

7. scott livesey

scott livesey

Exp:
    At home cook
    Add me to the 'It's rude' group.  this isn't dirty Santa with family at Christmas.

More important, have you even used the knife?  How does is feel in your hand?  How does it cut, slice, and chop?  have you tried out the  Kiritsuke?  

I find it curious that 5 different sellers have the Kiritsuke on "Special Sale!!!" for $229.95.

all seriousness aside, did you know(cue the drums and trumpets) only a MASTER CHEF is allowed to use a Kiritsuke?

8. joeycannoli

joeycannoli

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Geez, going through the ringer on the gift thing. She doesn't care. If she did I'd know. Lol.

9. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    You are fortunate. In that case, I'd do the trade if the knife feels better than what you have.

10. joeycannoli

joeycannoli

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Brian let me know if you got a line on an AeroKinfe. The technology seems unparalleled.

11. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Aeroknife is kind of a joke knife that Ming himself doesn't use.   However it IS a good cheese knife.

12. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Just a note on the kiritsuke - its made for chopping and push-pull slicing, but you can't rock up onto the low tip very far before it will dig in, so no rock-chopping tall product with it. The Shun does have more curve than most though.

13. joeycannoli

joeycannoli

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I probably should have put an lol or just kidding in my comment.

14. foody518

foody518

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Scott, what Shun seems to be calling kiritsuke looks to just be a gyuto with a kiritsuke-style tip. Not the same animal at all to the actual single beveled kiritsuke which does have that particularly type of status associated with it.

15. jake t buds

jake t buds

Exp:
    Other
    How many knives do you already own? Do you plan on cooking together with your soon to be wife? Does she like to use knives as well? Rick Allen has a very good point. Are you familiar with the various uses for different profile knives? You might want to look into another style knife. . . and keep them both. 

Most everybody here owns more than one. . er. . . more than three knives. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif  

foody518 likes this.
  16. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I'm between 2 and 3 dozen

17. jc57

jc57

Exp:
    Other

18. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Yes their 8" kiritsuke is just about like a regular gyuto, and I should have added that an 8" knife isn't/shouldn't be meant for rock chopping tall product anyway.

19. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    How about a trade for your new kiritsuke?????

20. chrislehrer

chrislehrer

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    What is this nonsense Shun is yapping about, that a kiritsuke is in Japan considered the knife of a master chef? I mean, advertising I get, but they just purely made that up!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk