Would you every buy an Electric knife?

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by hannahbee, Sep 17, 2014.

1. hannahbee

hannahbee

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Hi all, 

I'm doing a little study on electric knives for a design school project and am really interested in learning what the opinion is out there on them. Especially since reviews seem to be pretty divided on their usefullness.

I thought I'd ask the experts, so here are my questions:

So, Do any of you own electric knives?

What do you use them for?

What about them do you like/ dislike?

I'd really appreciate any opinions at all: rants, interesting experiences,  simple dismissals. What do you think?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  2. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    No. I understand the premise behind them, but not the logic.

3. robertoo

robertoo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I got one when I got married.Use it 2 times and put it away,too mutch work ;take it,put knife in,electricitie,use it ,clean it and put it away.

I even don't know where I store it.

A Good knife is more easy.

4. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Don't own one. Never saw the point of it. Added hassle, storage, cords. A sharp knife has been more than sufficient. 

5. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I have cooked on BBQ teams that use electric knives to slice brisket.  I think you can slice a little bit hotter meat without shredding.  The temp of what you serve the judges can be the difference between winning and losing.

In most cases I would rather rest the meat a little bit longer then slice using a normal slicing knife.

6. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I'm not quite following you there, why would an electric knife shred less? I would think the opposite would be true.

7. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Yes have 4 of them and use on the buffett

8. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Chef Ed,I am not really familiar with using electric knives, why do you choose them over a regular slicer for buffets?

9. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    @cheflayne I couldn't tell you why.  Logic says that the sawing motion (even if small) would be bad. It's only anecdotal evidence. I'm curious where this thread goes too. 

The options were a granton edge victorinox slicer or an electric knife and we had better slices with the electric.  A perfect brisket slice when you stretch it has a little bit of pull, but it is still moist.  If it stretches like a rubber band (undercooked), crumbles dry (cooked too hot), or breaks into a wet mess (over cooked), those are all getting marked down.  I think this one was on the moister side and that is when electric gave better results.

This was before I got into j-knives.  I'm going to try with a well maintained sujihiki next time I get a chance.  With the amount of money put into competing, it's not bad to have a backup plan.

10. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Maybe the bark on the meat or the finishing grit when sharpening the slicer are important factors?

11. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Something to consider: 

12. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    As I said, I am unfamiliar with electric knives but I am still having trouble wrapping my head around it, just an old school dinosaur.

You have definitely got my curiosity aroused though and I would love to do a side by side comparison, as I have found this to be the best way for me to reach a conclusion for myself. Especially in case like this because I sharpen my knives to my specs (everyone has their own) and my knife techniques might be slightly different than someone else (because everyone has their own).

I don't want to buy an electric just for a test though. So I guess it is time to check with the relatives because somebody is bound to have one.

13. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    In my searching, I guess people using slicers on meat with bark push straight down first to get past the bark, then do their pulling slicing motion.  Maybe my technique just needs refinement.

Electric knives don't really have much learning curve, so anybody on your team can use it with no training.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  14. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I figured that this would be one of the pluses to an electric, but wasn't sure. Great dialogue so far. I appreciate your insight as it helps me to learn. Thanks.

15. hannahbee

hannahbee

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    From what I understand, sped and volume are some of the few places an electric knife might have the edge over traditional knives. They also do seem to make a very clean cut. Whould that be enough to justify owning one though? I guess that depends on your needs...

16. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    What are the design factors you would like to address.  So far all of the questions/answers are addressing preference... which is good discussion but mroe focused on a marketing study rather than a design study.

17. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    @MillionsKnives,I must agree on smoked meats. When I do butts I sometime want to serve chunks instead of pulling. I break large pieces off the bone and slice pieces. Works better then my slicing knives. I also have two battery knives on the boat for filleting fish, The Best!!!

18. hannahbee

hannahbee

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    At the moment, it is just the market, or potential markets, that I'm looking into. The full blown design project will come much later. 

19. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    @hannahbee,

Please don't overlook the sportsman market. The electric knife seems to glide along the bones and not cut through them for fish. I don't know of anyone down here in Tx who doesn't have them in their cleaning station.

20. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Wow learning more new things! That's one of the reasons that I love this industry, the learning never stops as long as we are open to it. I definitely want to play around with an electric knife now to see what I have been missing.