Would you eat a pink egg?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by french fries, Apr 28, 2014.

1. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Just received an email with the following picture. I didn't read any of the text. I'd love for you to look at the picture and then describe what your reaction was? I have added my own reaction below the picture to avoid influencing you. 

My reaction? 

First, I thought the eggs were really pretty, and quite original looking. Visually striking, for sure. Could be great for the WoW factor at a brunch or cocktail party. 

Second, I pictured myself in front of that plate and realized, I didn't find the eggs appetizing. I find them pretty, but I'm not really keen on grabing one and lifting it up toward my mouth. 

Third I concluded that those could be fun for a Princess party for a Beverly Hills pre-teen or something, but that's about it.

Then I showed the photo to my wife. Her reaction?

First, she said "yeah they're cute". 

Second she said "doesn't really makes me want to eat them. Maybe for a pre-teen thinking she's a princess or something...?

I found it pretty amazing that both me and her had pretty much the same reaction!

What do you think??

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  2. pollopicu

pollopicu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I believe those are pickled eggs, and they might be dyed with beets. I remember seeing that exact picture somewhere and reading that, if memory serves me right. I'm used to pickled eggs by now, so they don't really shock me. I'd try them.

3. meezenplaz

meezenplaz

Exp:
    Sous Chef, Event Manager
    First, kinda wondering if  both or either of you have RAISED a preteen who thinks she's a princess per chance?

Cuz I know --I-- have so I would be cheat-coding commenting on that part. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif

Second, while I've made such apps for parties and events, I'm personally not fond of eating

things that utilize a lot of dye to achieve a certain appearance, organic or not.

Never been crazy about black velvet desserts for similar reasons. 

BTW these are also popular at easter, in various colors--in fact there was just a thread on it about 3 or 4 weeks ago

4. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    No problem to me, since I've eaten these many times:

Google pic

5. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Yes you are correct they were pickled in beet juice. They don't really shock me either, and they're no mystery either, I knew just by looking at it that they must have been some beet juice involved. I'd try them without any aversion. I just don't feel like they are screaming "I am super tasty and you should take a bite out of me right away". And somehow, and this may seem weird, but somehow they look overcooked to me. 
    No, I haven't! I was blessed with two boys who don't really care what color their eggs are as long as they can have enough free time to disassemble our entire house at a faster rate than I can repair it. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif
    Yeah I wasn't really having a "problem" with them - and in your example the eggs look like that because they also taste completely different, no one chose to make them look like that just for the sake of making them look more appetizing, so that's quite different IMO: I would also eat them without a problem. 

6. pollopicu

pollopicu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Ordo, I first thought they were mussels. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/eek.gif

7. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    He! Not that i'm really fond of those eggs. Too much preserving stuff in them.

8. pollopicu

pollopicu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    It's funny how the egg white looks like aspic.

I don't like egg yolks at all, so I wouldn't try that part of any egg.

9. zagut

zagut

Exp:
    Other
    My reaction.

Those look good and I'd like to try one.

Now I'll go and read the rest of the thread after the picture.

10. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I love pickled eggs, and sometimes use beets to make red eggs like that.  They look tasty to me!

mjb.

11. stuartscholes

stuartscholes

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I gotta say I think those eggs look ABSOLUTELY REVOLTING ordo, though I'm surprised they were mistaken as mussels....strange.

In answer to the original question, I may eat the pink eggs to see what they taste like, as an experience thing, but they don't look remotely attractive to me. While I think the ingenuity and skill that has gone into creating them is to be applauded, I'm left with the question: why? To me I see a lot of chefs and cooks who like to experiment, and I whole-heartedly support that, it's how we all learn and develop. However, if someone actually served that to me as a constituent part of a meal then I would look at them with a baffled expression and ask them what they were thinking.

Sorry if my opinion seems forthright, but you wanted to know my reaction!

12. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    No problem Stuart. In fact when you see them in person, they are not so revolting, but have a curious gelatinous and translucent texture. There are some youtube videos about it.

I usually eat them classic way, with tofu or better yet, with douhua, the very soft to fu.

It could make a nice new thread: Revolting to the eyes, pleasing to the taste food.

-Nah... bad idea.

-OK.

13. chrisbelgium

chrisbelgium

Exp:
    Home Cook
    @ordo  I tasted one of those "Thousand year eggs" just once in an authentic Chinese restaurant Brussels. The eggwhite didn't look gelatinous but even then I only tasted a little bit. I don't even remember what it tasted like, it was such a long time ago.

@French Fries  I would taste it, no problem, even though it might destroy my image, lol. They even look charming, maybe a bit "style over substance" but hey, why not? I saw a chef cook eggs twice, where the second time they go with their gently cracked shell in a dark substance (soy if I remember correctly) to give the egg some sort of "craquelure" effect.

I love experiments!

14. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Upon first sight I'd think they were cooked in beet juice and try one.  But if you had told me they were pickled I would not try one, I don't eat pickled anything.

Ordo, I don't know what that is, and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't eat it even if I did.

15. pollopicu

pollopicu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    It was a form of expression. I didn't literally mistake them for mussels.. in simplified terms...at first glance the artful eye sees mussels. Not everyone possesses an artful eye.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  16. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    @FF....maybe...my hesitation is not because of the beet color(it's a cool look actually),but because of the presentation(or lack thereof). I would be more curious and tempted to try one if they were resting on a nice bed of baby greens or radish sprouts etc., were filled a bit fuller and plumper and and were topped with a nice garnish...chopped herb medley or micro-greens, pancetta or peppered applewood smoked bacon crumbles would all work nicely. They just seem sort of sloppy and skimpy. Eye appeal always helps whet the appetite and fill one with anticipation. I'm not entirely convinced that the filling is just egg yolk, but maybe its just heavy on the paprika that has me questioning.....maybe chicken or crab salad, which sounds like an interesting pairing with the beeted shell and one i would definitely try.
    i'm also not sure if princesses even eat deviled eggs, whatever the color! ;)

@ ordo....both interesting and beautiful but any type of aspic just makes me gag. What is in the middle of the plate? Pickled ginger?

joey

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  17. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    growing up, my mother collected all of our Easter eggs that we had dyed all different colors and then it was a deviled egg bonanza of colors exploding... and IF there were any leftover the next day, she made egg salad sandwiches ... think about that for a minute... /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lookaround.gif   GROOVY MAN!

18. raibeaux

raibeaux

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Get a gallon jug of pickled pig's feet or pickled pig's lips.  when you finish the jug, drop hot peeled boiled eggs in and wait a week or two.

The tastiest and best looking are the ones that come in the reddish juice.  I think they add the color to mask "imperfections".

I'm told the toe jam is mostly removed, and that the most gross-looking green growths are cut out before packing.

<[ : ^ )  Enjoy.

P.S.

They really are pretty good.

19. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Unlike some folks here, I like just about anything that has been pickled.

mjb.

20. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    I think they are darling .

My favorite filling is : salmon, mayo, keens and a grate of dill.