Would you call the law on a customer not tipping?

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by caterchef, Aug 27, 2010.

1. caterchef

caterchef Banned

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local-beat/Time-In-Prison--70426052.html?yhp=1

I was at a mini-convention a few years ago in San Antonio, we had a hour for lunch.

We went to the dinning room at the large  hotel, we got the menu and ordered. after waiting 45 minutes and getting no food we left and had to send out to the Buckhorn Saloon for sandwiches. My wife asked are you going to leave a tip and I said "For what, bringing us a menu and a glass of water". TIP =  To   Insure   Promptness.     What do you all think?

2. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I agree. We in America tip no matter how bad feel compelled to tip . I believe tipping is for quality above and beyond service rendered. If you tip for bad treatment or service, you are only adding to the problem. The server then believes he or she can be mediocre because they will get tip anyway. There is not  any reason to improve or get better.

3. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Mandatory gratuity?  That's a contradiction if I ever saw one.  18%?  Wow these people have a serious problem.

4. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I would have left a 20% tip, What is 20% of $00.00 ???????????  ChefBillyB

5. luckyslevin

luckyslevin

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    plate/dish fee maybe? But the law? that seems a bit absurd.