Would this Steel be suitable for a Shun chefs knife?

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by bayden, Jul 1, 2014.

1. bayden

bayden

Exp:
    Culinary Student
  2. mikael

mikael

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I had that steel once. Well actually I had two of them. One of them broke when droppet and I gave the other away.

They work but are pretty coarse. And I only paid around 50$ for mine. So I wouldn't recommend it. But if you want it get it somewhere else for cheaper.

For a ceramic steal or rod I'll recommend the ones from mac they are pretty cheap and they just work. Or the red one from sieger. That's what I use

Mikael

3. benuser

benuser

Exp:
    Home Cook
    That blue Wüsthof rod has a grit of JIS800. That's indeed what you may use with a soft stainless steel like Wüsthof's. Your Shun however is made of a much harder steel, VG-10. I maintain such blades by stropping on a 2-3k stone and deburring on a 8k one.
    I believe using any rod with VG-10 is the surest way to create a wire edge.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  4. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Speaking of which, I still haven't solved the wire edge problem with my Shun, but have not given up.  Now at least I can make that wire wicked sharp, just about hanging-hair sharp, but it only stays that way if you do nothing but fell single hairs with it.

Rick

5. benuser

benuser

Exp:
    Home Cook
    If you abrade the burr after every stone, very slightly edge trailing, in an almost longitudinal motion, you will get rid of it. Do it at a slightly increasing higher angle than you've used for sharpening, or you will indeed create a wire edge.