Worst things about being a Chef

Joined Dec 8, 2010
Look around in your kitchen...can you see 10 people?? At least one of them is Coeliac...and they may not even know....

Celiacs does not affect 1/10 people. Most estimates I've seen say something like 1/100.

Celiacs is a disease and not a lifestyle choice... but going gluten-free is a lifestyle choice. :p A lot of celiacs are asymptomatic but inexplicably go off gluten anyway. Go figure.

OTOH, I understand people with noticeable symptoms wanting a gluten-free diet. But it's still a nuisance. I'll cook for someone who's gluten-free, or vegetarian, or vegan, or who has any sort of allergy. I'll do it as well as I can. I'll hope they enjoy their dining experience. I'll take their money. And I'll complain about it to fellow cooks. :)

On the topic of being gluten-free, many autistics also claim going gluten-free (and casein-free) helps. This is highly disputed, though.

Joined Jan 4, 2011
I have NO problem whatsoever cooking off the reservation for people with allergies or ingredient difficulties, as long as those situations are REAL. I can't stand those people who want to follow "voodoo of the day" and make special pain-in-the-butt special orders because they think there is something in it for them. They've "heard" that this must be better. Or they've heard/seen some TV celebrity chef say/do something. I can't stand that. I'm also fed up with every so-called "expert judge" on some stupid cooking/food TV competition claiming "lack of seasoning". Scott Conant is the worst. I want to jab a fork in his throat while watching him, and Tom Colicchio is next. THE SALT IS RIGHT THERE IN FRONT OF YOU ON THE TABLE. You idiot morons. Put on as much as you want. The second biggest dietary problem, #2 only to obesity, is high blood pressure. I specifically under-season most all of my dishes for this reason. I go out of my way to use the best quality ingredients so as to show off their flavors. You can put on as much salt after that as you like. You can't however, take it out. Good luck after that if/when your heart explodes. Anyway, back to the idea. Don't claim you're something when you're not. Find out for real if it's important. Don't make chefs jump through "special order" hoops if it's not really necessary. Trust me, you ainte special doing it. 

Joined Jun 22, 2011
I remember that I worked in place where I needed to go to the fridge, but when I was there I forgot to hold the door openned and I got lock inside! People couldn`t listen to me, but finally someone openned it, not to save me (of course), but to get more cherries/img/vbsmilies/smilies/mad.gif

Another bad thing in a Chef`s life:

- you can`t fart when working, while the delivery boy can do it!

- you can`t play guitar very well, because it`s not allowed for a Chef to have your nails long enough.

- you can`t have sex where you work, while some people can, for example "those girls"...

Joined Oct 10, 2005
- you can`t have sex where you work, while some people can, for example "those girls"...

Uhhh..... the stories I could tell you!  Like the one wher the garde-manger and waitress were in the walk-in freezer and had sorta/kind "froze" themselves to a s/s shelf.  Or the time...

Joined Jun 22, 2011
I'm also fed up with every so-called "expert judge" on some stupid cooking/food TV competition claiming "lack of seasoning".

Last edited:
Joined Jun 22, 2011
humm... it`s kinda interesting, i would like to see some good events like those you`ve seen /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

Joined May 5, 2010
Here's one that will make your hair curl.

Worst thing about being a chef......one of your summer interns decides to sell meth and heroin from his dorm room and to top that....sells some to your son who proceeds to overdose and has to be taken away by ambulance to  the hospital and is in a coma .

Now it's freakin 4th of July, the restaurant is full and turns tables a few times, there is also a banquet for 250 and you are down 2 people in the kitchen.

Take that to the bank.......

Joined Jan 4, 2011
OK. So maybe I miscommunicated my point. I season absolutely properly with all things excluding SALT. People use too much SALT, and wouldn't know proper flavors if they jumped off the plate and smashed them in the face. Why come eat the food of a really good chef? What is the value of dining on great fresh ingredients if you are going to dump SALT all over everything? TOO ... MUCH ... SALT.  Is that any clearer now than before? LOL. 
Originally Posted by Guts  

Quote:
I'm also fed up with every so-called "expert judge" on some stupid cooking/food TV competition claiming "lack of seasoning".

Joined Jun 22, 2011
salt for me is necessary to heat the body, i`m "bold blooded", but it really destroys anything when it`s too much

Joined Jul 7, 2011
I hated being in bed because I it was suppose to be my scheduled day off only to be called in to do prep and clean.  My pants were all dirty so I had to sew up a pair because it was quicker than doing laundry.

I hate that the FOH server was so terrible I ended up having to blow his nose for him and do all his dishes.  I don't mind stepping up at  any station but this guy was just plain horrible.   He couldn't even make his own salads.  I hate that management puts up with it!  I didn't get my work done because some slacker on FOH can't do his job.

I do love my chef, we are the perfect melody, we say few words yet speak volumes.   Each plate is made to perfection and with everything we can give.

Joined Jul 7, 2011
I miss the days when people were valued and work places were really like family, nowadays money is above all. Show one weakness and you are gone. Saw a cook who was sick one time get fired because he did not call out 24 hours notice. I do not think the most succesfull chef is the one who puts his or her job above all else. The successfull chef is the one who trys to bring people up on the way to the top, not the one who steps on everyone.
Well said!

Joined Oct 10, 2005
That's  an easy fix.

Get four bricks. Most Home Despots have them for like 89 cents each.

Stuff one brick under each prep table leg.  End of shift collect your bricks back and stuff them in your locker.

Knew a couple of 6' guys who would do that.  Either that, or they'd  "Liberate" a dish rack, and put a cutting board on top of that.

Joined May 8, 2009
Ya'll need to shrink a few inches.

Waiting, just waiting for the stack of dishes I have to JUMP to grab, to come crashing down on my head.

All the dishwashers are 6 foot plus. 

It sucks during a busy plating to have to ask one of my cooks to reach the plate for me...

Helps keep me humble, I guess.

Last place I worked had milk crates under all the prep tables.

The small 4 foot table w/out milk crates was mine.

Maybe try the milk crates, thetincoook.  They're pretty inexpensive if you steal them.

Joined Jul 30, 2007
 sometimes feeling that you are nothing more than a meal ticket for your waitstaff, which may be true, but me no likey...

joey

Top Bottom