Worst things about being a Chef

Joined Nov 11, 2012
At my place this year all the equipment is failing all at once right in our busy season. Lowboy went out. Took idiot 3 weeks to get the part and fix it. Told us it was the wrong condensing unit and he hopes it works. It lasted a week then broke down again. Took idiot another week to fix it but its still the wrong condenser. Hood system has been wonky. Motor finally burned out. They replaced it with a motor that is ten times louder. Its like a tornado under my hoods. Now they came out to quiet it down today. They said it was running too fast. They made it sound different but it is still wayyyy too loud. I'm loosing my hearing.... :(

Joined Jun 1, 2014
been in the job almost 40 years still love it but the thing that gets to me ,is forgetting to bring my magic wand to work ,after all all the staff know i have one all the customers also know . Look like I am the only fu--er who forgetes  

Joined Aug 22, 2013
How do you forget your wand?! After going to hogwarts culinary school of wizardry that's the most important tool on my bag! Lol, how else could I break down dragons and hippogriffs?

Joined Feb 2, 2014
Celiac isn't annoying...jokers who say that are "allergic" to gluten or think they are healthier by not eating gluten are annoying.

Servers stealing side towels are annoying.

Joined Apr 11, 2013
People stealing my paring knife or my sharpening stone. 

Or when they put sh*t on your section of the kitchen and don´t inform you. 

I remember once a cook put a hot tray on my section of the kitchen, i wasnt informed and was almost burned, i remember the water on my hand had evaporated on the spot.... 

Stupid people who break things or make a mess and don´t clean it, causing problems in the kitchen... 

Joined May 19, 2013
Waiting staff coming into the kitchen to complain their too hot, or worse, that they've had a long day. Your deffinatly complaining to the wrong people.

Joined Nov 26, 2012
get to go through this every single night

also always a good time when FOH starts ordering their staff meals when we are closing the kitchen.  good times

other kitchen staff taking and/or breaking your tools when you are in the middle of using them.  

Joined Jun 1, 2014
Only kidding they are all helpful and considerate lovely caring people who help and make my job so easy NOOOOOOOTTTTTTT

Joined Jul 15, 2013
Having a customer come up to the line and offer to tip you out for your excellent meal, and also informing the server that part of his very large tip was partly for me.. then after they leave the server pockets it at crys wage differences.

Figures the owner did nothing about it.

Last edited:
Joined Jun 15, 2014
This actually happened to me once when working in a large hotel.  A bunch of diplomats ordered a large take-out for their flight home off our fine dining menu.  I prepared all of the food and packed it in holding units to be loaded onto their private jet.  It was ordered through room service and the room service clerk and myself were the only staff involved.  Breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  The bill was exorbitant and so was the grat...You would think that the room service clerk and I would split it??? nope chef divided it between all the kitchen staff none of whom were even working at the time and took the largest share for himself...REALLY!!!   

Joined Jul 12, 2014
My biggest thing has to be menu item modifications. It seems like all my customers want to make up their own menu as they go and then I end up getting a ticket a foot long for one item.

Joined Nov 11, 2012
At my place this year all the equipment is failing all at once right in our busy season. Lowboy went out. Took idiot 3 weeks to get the part and fix it. Told us it was the wrong condensing unit and he hopes it works. It lasted a week then broke down again. Took idiot another week to fix it but its still the wrong condenser. Hood system has been wonky. Motor finally burned out. They replaced it with a motor that is ten times louder. Its like a tornado under my hoods. Now they came out to quiet it down today. They said it was running too fast. They made it sound different but it is still wayyyy too loud. I'm loosing my hearing.... /img/vbsmilies/smilies/frown.gif
To be continued...

The brand new, extremely loud hood system motor burnt out... ROFL... It took them a few days to fix it but the new motor seems to work fine and is a little more quiet... :(

Of course, now our front display case is running at 60 degrees...

Oh, and the lowboy that keeps breaking down was making a weird sound right when I was closing. I will see tomorrow at 6:30 AM if it's keeping temp...

It never ends....

Joined Apr 11, 2013
My biggest thing has to be menu item modifications. It seems like all my customers want to make up their own menu as they go and then I end up getting a ticket a foot long for one item.
Me too!!

And the d*mb *ss waiters will do anything to guarantee a measley tip, even if that means screwing the entire kitchen. Some clients have no idea of flavor profiles, and what works and what doesnt. 

Last time a waiter gave  us a ticket with dish modifications, i went ahead and did it knowing it was gonna come out wrong. 

The dish looked like and tasted like cr*p, and i warned him it was gonna be bad.... 

Well lets just say we never got tickets with dumb modifications ever again after that one.... 

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom