working with chickpeas?

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by alacarte, Dec 9, 2013.

1. alacarte

alacarte

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Never really used them much more than hummus in my career so just seeing what u guys think of my middle eastern salad i came up with tonite.. all my original.idea tho im sure some may be simmilar.. i soaked the chickpeas over nite with bayleaves, then boiled them today, in a mixing bowl had diced tomato, baby spinach, small amount of raw brunoise onion, fresh lemon juice, salt and pepper, small cubed roast sweet pumpkin, olive oil, then had some chicken.breast marinated in olive oil, cumin, paprika and roast corriander (cilantro) seed ground. Just lightly pan fried the.chicken and.mixed thru the salad.. sorry pics arent working for me atm.. feedback? Cheers

2. alacarte

alacarte

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    The spices were toasted before being ground..

3. davehriver

davehriver

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    sounds delish

4. laurenlulu

laurenlulu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Sounds tasty. Have you tried pan frying the chickpeas? They get nutty tasting and crispy on the outside, awesome for snacking as well.

5. kaiquekuisine

kaiquekuisine

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Chickpeas are great for falafels. 

Leave them soaking over night , then you put them int he processor after being soaked and they become very moist and starchy one ground. 

Add s&p , cayenne , cinnamon , cumin , diced onion and garlic along with parsley. 

Make small patties with them and fry. 

The starch content and moisture from the chickpeas should be enough to hold them together , i never use egg. 

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  6. lazizaaugusta

lazizaaugusta

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Chickpeas are great for soups as well, I sometimes make a Mediterranean chili using chickpeas in place of  beans.

7. kaiquekuisine

kaiquekuisine

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I love this chickpea stew i once made with cilantro , bacon , spices , bacon fat , and other legumes. 

8. alacarte

alacarte

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Mmm i bet they would go really tasty with bacon, might have a play around :)