Working Interview

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by lexaopi9, Jun 12, 2002.

1. lexaopi9

lexaopi9

Hello Everyone -

I've been looking at applying at a few restaurants in Downtown Chicago as a line/prep cook to wet my feet and see if culinary school is for me. Most of them ask that you apply in person. I was wondering if any of you could please tell me what I should expect from the minute I walk in?

I've looked on other threads that mentioned "working interviews". Could you please also tell me what kinds of tasks will be asked of me in a working interview?

Thanks so much in advance :)

2. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
  3. jim berman

jim berman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    lexaopi,

The link that Cape Chef suggested is good for your needs. Also, remember to take whatever you think you know about cooking and leave it at home. Not trying to come off sounding condescending, but the best working cooks are molded around their leader's initiatives and style. If you come off as a 'know it all' you are through.
    I commend you for taking the dive rather than just going to school and expecting something unrealistic. Good for you!
    All the best of luck in your endeavor. Keep us posted!

4. annie

annie

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Even some experience is a great help in landing anotehr job, and sometimes the big hotels will pay to send you to training classes - although I'm not sure if they still do in economic slumps.

I work at one of the oldest French restaurants in Boston, and the owner's son was talking to an intern about culinary school. He said that his hiring criteria were where you had worked, and who you knew (I got hired because of teh good name chef I trained with) Cynical, yes, but might have a touch of truth.

Good luck!!