working after sustaining an injury

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by m brown, Mar 6, 2001.

1. m brown

m brown

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    How many of us do this?
    I cut the dickens out of my thumb last week ( with no liver in sight.) and rather than leave and have it checked out by a doc, I iced, wrapped and rubber gloved the next three hours to get my shift done. Lucky for me I cut through the nail and stiches were not an option, doc said that would be even more traumatic. so I got my tetnis shot, steri stripped my finger together and went on my merry way.
    The throbbing can be troublesome thow. :eek:

2. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    ...Yeah, or if you're really in a hurry, and it won't stop bleeding, just throw a rubber glove over it.

3. anneke

anneke

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Ouch!

I'm a big baby, I'd probably whine and complain until chef would get sick of me and send me home!!! :D :D :D

4. anneke

anneke

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Momoreg:
    What is that? Hand confit? Blood sausage?
    That's pretty gross!!

5. m brown

m brown

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    i told my friends about the boo boo and they almost passed out to hear i did not run to the hospital! i love "regular" people!
    ;)

6. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Hope it heals quickly, mbrown! :)

7. m brown

m brown

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    thanks, it's just a flesh wound............

8. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I worked 2 parties on a sprained ankle with a black and blue set of piggies....not a pretty thing....though I did hire an asst to go grocery shopping and help serve...I could not drive for 10 days. People kept asking if it was broken and had I had it x-rayed...
    ya know parties aren't canceled cause you got a bo bo....and the bills keep coming. I actually got 3 new gigs out of that night.

9. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I never had anything too serious. Some pretty bad cuts and all, but nothing I didn't work through the night with. One time I had a terrible burn and the paramedics came, and I went home on that one. My arm was so bad there was nothing I could do.

10. lynne

lynne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    My scariest was in an old kitchen, always smelled like gas even though maintenance came out 15 million times (the kitchen's been this way for 40 years, why do YOU have a problem with it? mentality). I had a horrible cold; couldn't smell a thing.

Hood is on 24 hours a day. Bug guy came in and sprayed that night--must have knocked the steamtable gas on (it never had had a stop even though I had repeatedly requested one; but we never used it so it never happened. I always turned on the gas on way in to change in the mornings. Lit a match to light the pilot and boy there was a flare-up! Burned the chapstick off my lips and the hairspray in my hair! Small burn on hand. Cooked and served breakfast to my 24 guys -- THEN lost it!

No major burns, no lasting marks but it scared the you know what outta me. Ok, my hair looked kinda funny for a while and my lips were blistered--no hot coffee for a while; but I was Ok.

11. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    wooooo....I do that too, have a major trauma continue working then a week or so later melt down into a babbling puddle. Adrenaline??? Geez Lynne you were really lucky.

12. pastachef

pastachef

Wow, we really ARE troopers, aren't we? I got a terrible burn getting a giant baking sheet out of the oven just this evening. I think I have more burn scars on my arms than most folks who collect tattoos. Like the rest of you, no matter how bad the injury, I get the job done and THEN feel the pain. Once I even worked the week with a broken foot. I'd dropped a heavy table on it and didn't have the time to feel the pain. Another time I ran so hard and fast that day that a toe nail separated from my toe! Long live the dedicated. :D

13. matthew357

matthew357

<<i told my friends about the boo boo and they almost passed out to hear i did not run to the hospital! i love "regular" people!>>

Yup, it is kind of amusing to see others cringe when you tell them about things that you never really thought much about.

The thing I can't stand is when someone in the kitchen cuts themselves and then whines about it the whole evening. If it's that bad go to the hospital.

Matthew

14. katbalou

katbalou

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    i think the worst thing i ever worked through was the night the hose to the fryolater cleaning machine let go into my work boot. i ran screaming every obscenity and then some down the line(in an open kitchen) grabbed the waitrons 5 gal. bucket of ice water and jammed my foot in, boot and all, smoked a butt and then finished cleaning the kitchen before i went home. i guess maybe our pain threshhold is a little different in the kitchens. no pain, no gain.

15. isa

isa

Soory to hear of your acident, hope you're feeling better MBrown.

16. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    If it's not better after a year, definitely see a doctor!:lol:

17. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    LOL momoreg!!!!!

Well Isa I almost PM Mbrown to wish her a good recovery but then I saw the date of her post :)