Wood smoking

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by chrose, Oct 2, 2005.

1. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hey all. Since it's the end of grilling season there are all sorts of deals around. I ran across a small one the other day. I bought a medium size box of Maple wood chips for the grill. Now I've smoked with hickory, mesquite, cheery, applewood, etc. but never Maple! :confused:
    Has anyone here used it? I just can't imagine what it might taste like. I feel like I would be smoking my food with a kitchen counter :eek:
    Anyone with experience with maplewood?

2. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    nope, but umpteen years ago I used to smoke with pecan shells.

3. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I have used maple a couple of times. I find it to be more subtle than hickory or mesquite. Since it is lighter the tendency is to over compensate and end up with bitter food due to too heavy a smoke. Right now my favorite combination is about 1 part mesquite, 1 part hickory nut shells, and 2 parts hickory.

4. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Grilling/Smoking season never ends.

Phil

5. chowderhead

chowderhead

I have to agree with Pete, Maple is pretty subtle, but does have some flavor notes of it's own. Better with poultry or seafood than red meats. Try mixing with a bit of applewood or other fruit wood to get an interesting blend, just remember to keep it light.

6. abefroman

abefroman

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Where can I get apple wood?

7. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Hang out around a neighbor this spring while he's pruning an apple tree. I'm serious, it's how I do it. But i've also seen it in my local grocer and outdoors stores. Cabelas, Sportsmans Warehouse and so on.

Phil

8. redace1960

redace1960

yup. we used year old apple coachwhips (watershoots?) cut them into twig lengths, rinsed them off good. dont recall if dad dried them out first or what, though.

9. abefroman

abefroman

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I live in the ghetto, I'd have to go about 1,000,000 neighbors down and a couple hundred miles away before I found one with an apple tree.

Abe Froman
    South Side of Chicago