Woks

Discussion in 'Cooking Equipment Reviews' started by svadhisthana, May 11, 2001.

1. svadhisthana

svadhisthana

I've been wanting a wok for a while now. Question is, do I buy the wok with all the bells and whistles that cooks your food and does your taxes while playing music. OR, would a less expensive middle of the road one do just fine?

Svadhisthana

2. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Svadhisthana,

Try finding a wok from a wok store in Chinatown. I see that you're from Illinos but don't know if that's possible for you. In any case, if this is for home use, here is what I recommend you look for. Most importantly, make sure it is heavy with a flat bottom. This will ensure that it heats well and evenly. Look for a wood handle, this won't conduct heat to your hand. You'll also want a lid that fits well one that allows you enough room to put a whole chicken in the wok and cover it with the lid.

I think that if you found one that does your taxes, you'd be missing the point of wok cooking in the first place. A wok is a simple, classic, cooking vessel and should remain as such.

Once you get your wok, be sure to season it before cooking in it. As far as cost, I know you can find excellent high carbon steel 14" woks for $12-$14 in Chinatown in New York City. If you have any Asian grocery stores near you, look there first.

Really it all depends on what you want in the end.

3. svadhisthana

svadhisthana

Thank you! I don't know about getting one in NYC but I will check out the Asian food store here in town. (the comment about taxes was very much tongue in cheek) :p

Svadhisthana

4. kimmie

kimmie

I agree with cchiu.

However, if you find a rounded bottom, keep in mind that you can use it too, as long as you purchase a ring that goes underneath, to stabilize it.

No bells and whisles!

:D

5. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I got mine in a hardware store on Wentworth St. in Chicago's Chinatown years ago. It's going strong! I also got a wok ring with it, as well as the tools. Really cheap in the hardware store! I love to stroll down that street and look in the windows.

6. kimmie

kimmie

Like I said:

:rolleyes:

7. seattledeb

seattledeb

I agree cchiu and kimmie. I have the flat bottom inexpensive wok that I've used for years, v. a very expensive Farberware wok (electric) that I've used maybe once in the last decade.

8. pooh

pooh

Yep, got one many many years ago for a song and a dance! Round bottom with a ring.

With your savings, you will be able to afford a lid. Very practical too!

:p

[ May 14, 2001: Message edited by: pooh ]

9. marzoli

marzoli

This is probably heresy, but I really do like my electric wok. I've used it a lot. Since I have an electric stove that is hard to regulate, I've tried to buy as many electric appliances as I could to avoid the heat regulation problems I have with the stove. (the stove is an older model that isn't bad, but isn't really great) The wok is great for Chinese and I also do spaghetti sauce in it. Weird, I know, but it works! :D

10. seattledeb

seattledeb

Not weird at all if it works for you! The one I use was just easier than pulling the other out of the box if I wanted to use it. I don't have any room to put it away (this one is pretty big)...so it sits in its box in the closet :) :)

11. pooh

pooh

On electric stove, you can still use a round bottom wok as long as you have a ring!

:eek:

12. svadhisthana

svadhisthana

Thanks Pooh

Svadhisthana

13. marzoli

marzoli

SeattleDeb: Speaking of woks in closets, my cabinets are sort of old fashioned and they are way too small for things like electric skillets and woks and stuff like that. My closets are full of that stuff--not so bad once I got used to the idea of food equipment in with coats and things! This house has really pretty birch cabinets, but they are not real deep and the doors are too small to put anything through that is bigger than a plate. :D

14. seattledeb

seattledeb

Yes..when we entertain and hang up coats in the closet...we just have to push aside the ice cream maker box, Farberware wok and rotisserie, cases of wine (yes terrible spot for them)...and a bunch of other things that shouldn't be there! This house has a pantry but it's completely full...I can keep some small appliances in it but not many, so the coat closet is it.

Birch sounds so pretty!

:)

15. svadhisthana

svadhisthana

I have an electric stove/oven so I'll have to go with a flat bottomed wok. I'll look around in Chicago the next time I'm up there. I didn't even think of that. I checked the local asian food store(and I do mean the asian food store-we only have one), but the only thing there was really small and I wasn't impressed with the quality.

Svadhisthana

16. marzoli

marzoli

The cabinets are really neat, and completely unblemished. I can't believe this house was built in 1964. The couple who built it left almost NO marks on the place. Looks like it was shrink wrapped all those years! I couldn't believe it. My husband's parents found it for us. We love it! :D

17. seattledeb

seattledeb

Sounds absolutely lovely Sandy. THey must've had true pride in ownership.

18. 84rhonda

84rhonda

Prolly too late for this post but anyhow, yeah I agree go with an asian store WOK. Or another good laternative, (this is what I bought) is a TYPHOON WOK http://www.typhooneurope.com/dynamic...kware/%2313800

I love this thing, works great and comes pre-seasoned with a FLAT bottom and a lid
    :D

19. svadhisthana

svadhisthana

No, it's not too late. I have yet to get up to Chinatown in Chicago and look for one. Thanks for the information.

20. 84rhonda

84rhonda

No probs, just glad I could finally contribute something useful :p