Wintery topping for cheesecake?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by koukouvagia, Dec 22, 2012.

1. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I want to make cheesecake for Christmas dessert.  I want to top my cheesecake with a wintery topping, any ideas?

2. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    i have made a spiced cranberry topping in the past...ruby port, allspice, cinnamon etc....white  and dark chocolate curls garnish. if it interests you i can send it along if you like....you can make it a day or 2 or 3 ahead..

joey

i guess i should have asked what type of cheesecake you are making...new york? the cheesecake i made for the cranberry topping was gran marnier with a dark chocolate cookie crust

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  3. seth chick

seth chick

Exp:
    Professional Baker
    That actually sounds delicious, I'm interested in that recipe myself. Something new for the family this year.

4. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Yes that sounds delicious, please send the recipe!

I'm making a very light cheesecake with cream cheese and sour cream in a ladyfinger crust.  I haven't worked with cranberries before.

5. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
  6. prettycake

prettycake Banned

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    This was my dessert buffet at my party last week.  CHeesecake is bottom right w/  "trees" and "snow".

Last week I made the Junior's cheesecake recipe (dense) and I just decorated it simply w/ piped dark chocolate and whipped cream.  The crust is actually sponge cake w/c I added a little cinnamon.  I wanted the top to be simple but wintery looking.  Cheesecake was plain..but the other cheesecakes here I made in the past..

7. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Thank you, I'll let you know how it turns out!

8. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    What I think I will do, since I don't like cranberry seeds and want this to be a smooth sauce, is to cook the strawberries in water for 15-20min until softened.  Then put them through a food mill and strain the seeds out, then put them in the sauce.  Will that work you think?

9. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    kk,

i don't think cranberries have seeds...at least not to the extent that strawberries and raspberries do....if you want a smooth sauce you can cook the cranberries down and either use an immersion blender or fp to puree to make a coulis. i'm not  certain, but i'm not sure that you can get all the seeds out of strawberries with a food mill anyway....if you want to make a seedless coulis, perhaps straining through cheesecake or very fine mesh might work, but it sure makes alot of extra work for not much gain imo......since your cheesecake is light and delicate perhaps you may want to go another route other than a coulis...a reduced syrup would be perfect i think......lemoncello with lavender would be my choice, but i know that you are not a fan of lemon...well, there is also orangecello...serve with a few fresh berries(blackberries if you can find ripe ones).......just a thought

curious, do you omit the lemon zest in your cheesecake altogether?  it truly does add that certain little something......the ying to vanilla's yang. 

i'm sure it will be just lovely whatever you do....merry christmas!

joey

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  10. prettycake

prettycake Banned

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Cranberries do not have seeds.. It is probably Pomegranate you were thinking.  To me strawberries look better just sliced.  Cooking them and straining them would end up looking mushey.  Might as well just open a jar of Smakers Strawberry Jam or preserves.. jmho

11. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Strawberries are a summer fruit, I am looking for something wintery.  They are also way overdone.

12. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    CHANGE OF PLAN!  NO OVEN!  Oven is not working, will probably not have a working oven for several days.  I don't want to talk about it.

Soooooo, instead of my beautiful pork roast we're smoking a rib roast.  Should be very good regardless.

Also, no cheesecake :(

Instead I am making the spiced cranberries anyway and serving them with rice pudding. 

13. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    i'm assuming you meant cranberries then, not strawberries.....sauce for your pork? a cranberry chutney would be nice...maybe a panna cotta  could stand in for your cheesecake.....maybe

joey

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  14. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Argh, panna cotta.  Why didn't I think of that?  I already made the rice pudding and it's too late for panna cotta now.  Rice pudding is Christmasy, don't you think?