Winter menus

Joined Aug 15, 2003
You guys doing anything fun/different for upcoming winter menus?

I'm experimenting with slow cooked leg of lamb, thinking about getting on board with the "toast" trend, maybe make some pumpernickel bread and do some house cured lox with avocado, maybe do a monkfish with cauliflower 2 ways, olives and romesco sauce. 

What are you all doing?

Joined Dec 23, 2004
Hahaha!  Sorry!  Just saw this.  I am starting to do heavier, heartier dishes.  Pretty soon I'll be adding cassoulet and I'm going to roll out some duck dishes.  It's a cliche but more winter root veggies, too.  Lots of soup as well!  As the days get shorter and the weather cooler I'm selling two or three times as much soup and of course less of the summer-type sides.  At the moment I'm running a Beef Wellington feature; maybe not very original but it suits the season and the weather.

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Cabbage has been one of our things the last month. We have already been as blue as -30C (-22F), so winter has been here for some time.
Meat like reindeer, moose etc. Duck breast with warm spices going on the menu for December.
Chestnuts, conserved berries from this autumn with foie gras. Smoked grouse.
Cofits, braising etc. Fattier cuts of meat. 
Smoking, salting etc.

Desserts have been focusing on apples earlier this autumn, but now shifting towards sea buckthorn, cloudberries. Mixed with chocolate, and locally produced cream, sour cream and other dairy products with a local history and origen.

Of course rakfisk has been used now as we are in its season, but this is something for those specially interested.

And of course those nice emultionsauces. Last one was was a Bearnaise served to pan seared halibut, fennel, Jerusalem artichoke, and a touch of grated licorice as the second of six courses.

Here in Scandinavia most people have their Bearnaise with steaks, but I feel it contributes a lot more to fish.

Last edited:
Joined Sep 21, 2001

Cream of buttercup squash & almond soup, finished with saffron and herbs de provence.

I made this particular soup with buttercup squash. Any winter squash will work. Depending on the graininess of the squash the texture of the soup will change. I prefer a creamier soup so I use butternut  squash or Hubbard squash.

Joined Jan 17, 2015
Pig's cheeks braised in cider

Osso Buco with polenta,

Venison ragu and pickled walnuts

Confit of duck leg w cassoulet

Chourcrute ( sour cabbage with smoked meats-ham hock, sausage, smoked bacon)

Fish and chorizo stew

I f'#*&ing love cooking in winter!

Joined Aug 15, 2003
Ahhh, thanks everyone. Enjoyed reading. I just changed to my early winter menu and now tomorrow it's supposed to be 60F. 

I put a 24 hour sous vide leg of lamb on the menu (kind of based on the ChefSteps method, though I cut mine into "steaks" before cooking) with freekeh, feta salsa verde and carrots. Turned out nice, first time sous viding something like that. I was very happy--nice and medium rare, very tender. Not too gamey. The freekeh (which I've also never used before) is also a nice surprise. 

Latest posts

Top Bottom