Winter Menus

Joined Aug 11, 2000
is there a demand for that? We have a small raw foods group in STL....vegetarian society has 40ish active members, the raw foods more toward 20ish. We have NO vegetarian restaurants per se....kinda weird with such a large town. There was a decent one that folded 6-7 years ago.

Joined Jan 24, 2006
This winter seems to hold the old ways for me this season, steaks, heavy sauces; to be paired with heavy red wines.
No real trends, or blending of cultures for the winter months

Joined Feb 19, 2004
Demand is here for vegetarian plates, I just wanted to offer one that was more interesting to me and my staff as well. I'm garnishing with micro-arugula, and the plate cost is still only $2.98 which leaves me a fat margin at $12 for lunch and $15 for dinner.

DB

Joined Aug 11, 2000
Catering wise there are normally a few in a crowd of 100......it seems that if I plan with them in mind the menu works. What I learned a few years ago, the mycological society had 100+ members and it seemed that there were a huge number of vegetarians....after a survey we figured out that there were 4....(1 vegan)....they were just active and vocal, I would have told you at least 15.

But catering with a group here you have dieters that are happy with alot of vegetables, religious...alot of orthodox Jews, Muslim in STL.....

This week I've started working on an April menu for 125 Professional Women...10th year Gala.

Wild Mushroom Station
Morel Duxelle
Black Trumpet Duxelle
Porcini Duxelle
Served on crostini

Provencal French Table
Vegetables with aioli
Grand Marnier Chicken Pate
Tapenade and Eggplant Dip
Assorted crackers/pita chips

Buffet: Cold Poached Salmon with capers, lemons and an herb sauce cucumber sauce
or French shallot potatoes, haricot verte with Cold Tuna with tarragon sauce

Chicken Marbella, red wine, tomatoes, prunes, olives
or Spring lamb stew

Baby greens with oranges, sugar snap peas, toasted pecans,pomagranite dressing
Spring Vegetables, whatever is gorgeous on the market.
Rolls and european butter

Dessert Table:
Dark chocolate cups with raspberry chambord mousse
Goatsbeard chevre with poached dried apricots
Lemon Curd with berries
Marshmellows....assortment of housemade marshmellows

*The aps lean heavily to vegetarian, buffet is ok....I thought about adding soubise...I don't add meat stocks to starches or vegetables. This morning I'm going to come up with an Asian menu as an option.

OR Asian

Station:

Dumplings, vegetable, chicken, pork with choice of sauces
Japanese soybeans

Passed:
Vegetarian Spring Rolls, fried and fresh

Buffet: Cold searred tuna with wasabi and pickled ginger
Or Shrimp with lemongrass sauce

and

Chicken Teriyaki with vegetables
or Beef with spicy orange sauce

Lo Mein Noodles with vegetables

Napa Cabbage Salad with Vietnamese dressing

Dessert: Sticky rice pudding with Roasted Pineapple
Vietnamese Coffee custard
Coconut tarts

OR Greek/Turkish

Stationary aps:
hummos
baba ganoush
tarasolata
dolmas with cucumber sauce
Assortment of vegetables and crackers/pitas

Passed: Shrimp tarts with feta and capers
Baby gyro bites

Buffet: Greek Chicken with oregano in a white wine sauce with tomatoes, garlic and olives

Pomagranite lamb stew with spring garlic, baby onions

Spanakopita

Salad with feta, calamata olives, red peppers, red onions with a lemon/olive oil dressing

Orzo with rosemary

Pitas

Desserts: Baklava
Fig tarts with orange glaze
Rice Pudding with pistachios

Seems like the menus are total throw backs.....there is NO kitchen in the place so there is a preponderance of cold items. It all comes down to the menu in offsite catering.

Joined Dec 8, 2003
been doing at least two braises (osso buccos and such) a night and a roast (prime rib)

*Chilled Calamari Seviche
*Chicken Satay with Chai Peach Chutney
*Grilled Pineapple Topped with Honey-Teriyaki Marinated New York Strip
*Fresh Mozzarella and Syrah Marinated Beefsteak Tomatoes and Local Basil
*Roasted Peppers, Country Olives, and Feta atop a Crostini
*Soy Roasted Eel atop Wakame Seaweed Salad
*Duck Potstickers with a Thai Sweet Chili Glaze
*Smoked Salmon Napoleon Crepe with Maple-Mustard Drizzle
*Truffle Mousse Pate on Crostini with crispy Prosciutto and Tomato Jam
*Edamame Soy Beans Dusted with Sea salt

The above “TAPAS” are $5.00 each or Three for $12.00

Sally’s Pignoli crusted Roasted Eggplant Cheesecake in a Roasted Garlic Cream 9.50

Fried Calamari tossed with Sesame Seeds, Soy Beans, Shiitake Mushrooms, Onion
and Endive in a Soy-Wasabi sauce 10.75

Togarashi Dusted Soft Shell Blue Crab, on Peanut Noodles and a Wasabi-Soy Emulsion 13.75

Duck Breast and Baby Bok Choy salad with a Red pepper-Teriyaki sauce 11.75

June’s Organic lettuce in an Herbed Balsamic Vinaigrette topped with
Grilled Eggplant, Onion, and Sautéed Mushrooms with Feta Cheese 9.00

Oysters Oven Roasted with Leeks and Shallots Served in a Puff Pastry Case
With Melted Brie and Garlic Bread Crumbs 13.75

Tuna Carpaccio in an Asparagus “Case”, with Lemon, XVO and Shaved Grana Padano 12.75

Locally Grown Squash Blossoms, Stuffed with Four Cheeses then Tempura Batter Fried
With a Pesto Aioli Sauce 13.75

Sesame Portobello Mushroom Stack, with Shredded Asian Vegetables, Fermented
Black Beans and Ginger 12.75

Mixed Greens Tossed with a Raspberry White Balsamic Dressing with Hearts of Palm,
Butternut Squash Batons and Toasted Walnuts 11.75

Traditional Caesar Salad 8.50 Crispy & Hot Garlic Bread 3.00

ENTREES

Grilled Salmon, Atop a bed of Wild Rice, Crowned with Fresh Pineapple Salsa
and a Caramelized Onion Red Pepper Compote 28.75

Sesame Seared Rare Tuna, atop Green Tea Soba Noodles, with a Drizzle of Wasabi Oil
And an Indonesian Soy Glaze with Baby Bok Choy 29.7575

Grilled Tilapia, Served with Applewood Bacon Braised Lentils, Finished with a Whole Grain Mustard Glaze with Grilled Asparagus, Red Peppers and Baby Spinach 28.75

Grilled Jumbo Shrimp Ala Plancha, Seared in a Hot Skillet with Adobo, Lots of Garlic
and Fresh Thyme, Served on Grilled Flat Bread with a Melted Leek Risotto with Fresh Lime 30.75

Boneless Idaho Trout Peppercorn Dusted and Pan Seared, Paired with an Oyster Mushroom
Risotto and Finished with a Saffron Corn Puree and Lump Crab 28.75

Pomodori Secchi- Linguine tossed with XVO, Sun Dried Tomatoes, Red Chile Flakes,
Kalamata Olives, Prosciutto, and Finished with Fresh Basil 16.75

Panko’d Pork Crown Roast Chop on an Apple Dried Cranberry Cous Cous
With a Calvados Demi Glace and Candied Walnuts 24.75

New Zealand Rack of Lamb with a Greek Orzo Salad and Goat cheese Fondue
½ Rack 28.75 Full Rack 42.75

Porterhouse Steak Pan Blackened with a Chipotle Tomato Cilantro Cream Sauce Served on
Black Bean and Corn Brown Rice Gratinéed with Jalapeno Jack Cheese and Tortilla Strips 31.75

Meaty and Tender Lamb Shank Braised with Chick Pea, Tomatoes, Artichokes, Onion
Carrots, and White Wine, Served on Mashed Potatoes 28.75

Pork Osso Bucco Braised with Carrot, Celery, Red Bean, Green Chilies, Roasted Red Peppers,
And Red Wine, Served Over a Bed Of Mashed Potatoes 28.75

Slow Oven Roasted Prime Rib, Generously Cut, with Sour Cream Dill Sauce, Au Jus
And Mashed Potatoes 29.75

Joined Aug 11, 2000
Have you made the pate before? Are you poaching in a Grand Marnier court bullion or chicken stock?

DB

The pate is an old standard.....really easy and amazingly most people don't guess they are chicken livers....

Saute shallots and really good red beautiful chicken livers (underdone), salt pepper thyme...into the cuisinart with a whole lotta butter and a couple gluggs of Grand Marnier, some orange juice concentrate. Sieve. Add softened currants and it's a beautiful thing. Serve it in a crock. Even my friends that have French bistros didn't realize it wasn't duck.....cheap eats.

Wow! interesting Asian/Spainish menu from Boston! Do you have farmer's growing squash throughout the winter, I noticed local squash blossoms on your menu? Which restaurant?

Joined Feb 11, 2006
I love the cheese board idea, I dont use quite so many add ons. Just marcona almonds, apples, and some toasted baguette. I always us a blue, a semi-hard, and a brie, i also serve it on a marble slab.
Ive been playing around with different country pate's, and some terrines as well. nothing to extensive that my prep guys cant handle.
Roasted pork, duck, or game is always a nice touch.
My problem is dessert in the winter, my desserts are fantastic, but id like to change it up.
Anything good for valentines day, Ive got a few ideas.

great

Joined Feb 11, 2006
Hey dan, i love your ideas. im from a little bistro, great food, very busy. ive been putting out my valentine menu for critique. what do you think.
Cheese plate.
St. Andre
Blue de gex
Reblichon
Apples, marcona almonds, baguette. a little honey, warm cheese just to take chill off.
Seared Scallops, Wild rice, Lobster mushroom ragout, truffle oil.
roasted pork tenderloin, Red onion marmalade, Spinach, Fingerlinfg potatoes.
Chocolate trio
Chocloate chip cookie, truffle. White choclate berries, almond milk ice cream.
Thanks for your imput
Patrick

Joined Sep 10, 2005
Thanks for starting this thread! I have been researching menus and menu development guess I don't have to look any further. I like your dessert menu.

Joined Feb 8, 2006
this has been our dinner menu from early december until March 1...

APPETIZER
soup du jour
Truffled Lobster Bisque Princess Style
Soupe au Pistou
French Onion au gratin
Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail
Smoked Rabbit Tenderloin, eggplant and tomato jam
Maryland Crabcake, Lobster a la qrecque sauce
Devils on Horseback, Fontina Brioche french toast
Roasted Poblano stuffed with chevre, mascarpone and shaved grana, piquillo peppers and marinated Kalamata
Chicken confit, sweet potato gnocchi, Pancetta, Shiraz cream
Coconut Shrimp, spicy Blackberry melba
SALAD
Caesar
add. Grilled Chicken breast 8 oz New York Strip
6 oz Salmon Grilled Jumbo Shrimp
Artichoke Francaise Spinach Salad, smoked salmon, hearts of palm, pine nuts, Pomegranate bacon dressing
Seared Ahi Nicoise salad, caramelized belgian endive, tomato, hard boiled egg, haricot vert, kalamata, fennel vinaigrette
Harvest Salad, romaine, dried cranberries, apples, pears, pumpkin bread croutons, walnuts, creamy cider dressing

ENTREE
Spaghetti and 10 oz Meatball, garlic bread, shaved grana
Braised Pot Roast, creme fraiche mashed potatoes, stewed vegetables
Chicken confit and chicken liver risotto, seared foie gras, quince sauce
Scallopini of Turkey breast, chestnut risotto, asparagus, cranberry hollandaise, turkey demi glace
Seared Pork chop stuffed w/ butternut squash and soppressata, creme fraiche mashed potatoes, sherry mustard beurre blanc
Veal Cheeks Perigueux, fried potato and wild mushroom ravioli, pancetta, braised fennel
Spiced Catfish, poached in brown butter, lobster mashed potatoes, spinach
Asparagus crusted Atlantic Salmon, mashed Sweet Potato, smoked wild mushrooms, lobster demi glace
Togarashi Ahi Tuna, edamame cassoullet, fried oysters, orange glacage, port anise syrup
Jumbo Lump Crab, fennel, wild mushrooms, oven dried tomatoes, truffles, shaved manchego tossed with orechiette and Agrumato lemon oil
Breaded grilled Jumbo Shrimp, creamy winter squash polenta, cornbread panzanella
Filet Mignon au Poivre, veal bone marrow, charred onion and zucchini, tournate potatoes, morel Bordelaise
12 Oz New York Strip, wild mushroom ragout, tournate potatoes, cabrales butter, port anise syrup
New Zealand Rack of Lamb, creme fraiche mashed potatoes, Asparagus, sweet dark beer glaze, meyer lemon chutney
Australian coldwater Lobster tail, creme fraiche mashed potatoes, fennel butter

this is Saturday's fine dining pre fixe

amuse: Seviche of Lemon sole, ahi tuna aioli, smashed plaintain crisp
app: Fire and Ice, peppered Tuna, cucumber sorbet, pickled daikon... from Patrick O'Connell
salad: mixed fresh herbs, smoked salmon, parma ham, meyer lemon vinaigrette
intermezzo: chilled tequila watermelon soup
fish: Lemon sole saltimbocca with grilled breaded artichokes
meat: tableside Beef Tournedos Diane, pommes anna
cheese: Danish Blue, Aged Vermont Cheddar, Manchego, peach melba
dessert: tableside Strawberries in black pepper and cabernet sauvignon a la mode

Latest posts

Top Bottom