Winter fruit salad

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by koukouvagia, Feb 8, 2018.

1. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I have to make a fruit salad for an event this weekend. Should I do everything I can to make it wintery? Or should I just buy fruit that’s out of season even though it’s in the grocery stores? What’s a good winter fruit salad recipe?

2. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    My first thought is citrus. Grapes and pomegranate can round it out. If you have a good Asian market near you, there will be a good variety of other winter fruits available.
    I know strawberries and other fruits are available year round thanks to transportation, etc. but start with what you can find fresh.
    Bananas, toasted almonds, coconut and lime juice are a nice addition to a citrus salad. Belgian endive might balance out some of the sweetness. Lemongrass and mint. Otherwise, grapefruit, clementine, oranges, cranberries, tangerines, some avocado for fattiness and color. Fresh pears can still be found, I think.

fatcook and drirene like this.
  3. sgmchef

sgmchef

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Hi koukouvagia,

First thought is seasonal is a good place to start.

Like Chefwriter said, citrus is a good place to start along with Apples. In addition to all Chefwriters ingredients , Dried fruits like Dates, Raisins, Currants, Dried Plums and Figs can give a chewy element. Banana Chips can join the nut family for some crunch. (Personal opinion- Don't add crunchy items until just before serving. I don't care what the recipe says! Soggy nuts don't do a thing for me...)

When I do things like a fruit salad I would always look to tailor it to either the event or the crowd. For a Childs Birthday, or all ladies, or all over 60 years old, or a church gathering, all Firefighters, etc. would determine my choices for ingredients, size of cuts, possibly a dip, a sauce, Champagne or Grand Marnier to macerate dried fruits, Grenadine, Pomegranate Molasses or other flavored syrups, etc.

Just trust your instincts as to what you think would look and taste good and I think you will have success!

fatcook and drirene like this.
  4. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Thanks for the help. This is for a baby shower English tea. Good idea on the pomegranate molasses, I have some! I’ll also be adding a thimble full of grand marnier.

How far ahead can I make the salad? Is it better to make it fresh or let it macerate in the fridge over night? I’ll be serving it with a mascarpone whipped cream.

5. jimyra

jimyra

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I think fresh is better. If you are pressed for time some fruit can be prepped the day before kept refrigerated over night and mixed for service.

6. sgmchef

sgmchef

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Hi again koukouvagia,

If you want to tie in Fenh Shui concepts with regards to fruit and a Baby Shower:

Peach came to be associated with wealth, health, abundance and longevity.
    Because the pomegranate is full of juicy seeds, it symbolizes fertility.
    Grapes came to represent success and abundance coming to one in the near future, or always being in one's family.
    Apple has always been associated with peace, good health, and harmony in one's home.
    Pineapple has become a popular traditional feng shui symbol of wealth, fortune, and prosperity.

The popularity of oranges in the traditional feng shui applications is explained by the refreshing/cleansing odor, as well as the yang quality of the orange color. As a feng shui cure, it is often recommended to have 9 oranges in one's living room or kitchen for good luck and prosperity.

For the last thing about Oranges, I would circle the bowl of salad with 9 whole clementines for the good luck symbolism.

You could do the Apples ahead of time with lemon water. I wouldn't macerate for this event.

I would mix the Pom. molasses and Grand Mar. together and drizzle on the Mascarpone topping at the last moment to symbolize abundant fertility.

Just some thoughts and options for a salad that the people will love for sure!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    chefwriter likes this.
  7. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    I love the feng shui connections. I didn't know all that.
    I can see this going in lots of fun directions. You can have several components to the salad. Depending on how you develop the salad, you can macerate some of the ingredients the day before and leave others alone, prepping them all the day before for convenience but keeping them individual. Then mix just before serving. Top with nuts, mint or other garnish.
    If you have a large platter, that might be an option for serving, instead of a large bowl. Then the delicate pieces of fruit won't get crushed as much. You can also highlight the macerated fruit by laying them on the platter in specific places
    You can arrange all the pieces in concentric circles on a large platter with the smallest amount in the center to the largest on the outside.
    Use a mold of some kind for the mascarpone topping. Or pipe it out with a pastry bag.
    Serve the salad individually on leaves of Belgian endive or other lettuce.
    I have to say I don't like soggy nuts either. And a quick toast with nuts really brings out their flavor. Maybe more than one kind. Sliced or whole. sliced almonds and whole pecans. Or walnut halves and whole almonds.
    Serve in individual coconut halves or orange skin cups. Or chocolate cups for a dessert kind of salad.
    Okay, I'll stop now.

8. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Thanks for the suggestions! I’ll let you know how it goes!

9. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    You all like nuts in your fruit salad? Can't say it appeals to me though it does make sense of course. @sgmchef thanks for that info, I didn't even know you could feng shui food. Well I did included pomegranates, apples, pears, grapes, and clementines though peaches are not in season now. I did add kiwis though! I tried something different though and made a lemon poppy seed dressing with honey. It was very yummy but the true star was the mascarpone cream that went well with the scones too.

I'm going to get 9 oranges for my home tomorrow, I need some good juju!