Wines from our "Osso Buco Fest"

Joined May 26, 2001
Last Saturday, we had a dinner party because I wanted to cook osso buco. And Paul wanted to compare a few wines. Great fun! Twelve people all together. We had:

with Smoked Salmon Mousse:
  • Domaine Bott-Geyl Sylvaner, 1998, from Alsace
  • Macari Brut (sparkling white), n.v.?, from North Fork of Long Island, NY
with Braised Baby Artichokes:
  • Pomanauk Barrel Select Chardonnay, 1998, North Fork LI
  • Schneider Chardonnay, 1999, North Fork LI
with Osso Buco and Farro: same 2 chardonnays plus:
  • Fess Parker Pinot Noir, vintage not recorded, Northern California
  • Steele Carneros Pinot Noir, 1999, California
  • also a Chateauneuf-du-pape, brought by a guest
All wines were finished with the salad/cheese (taleggio and sardo) course

No wines were served with dessert (biscotti and Iced Almond Milk), because by then we were getting a little forgetful ;)

Comments and comparisons:
  1. The Macari Brut was a surprise; very crisp and dry. Their still chardonnay is unoaked, and much rounder than others from the same region.
  2. The 2 LI chardonnays: guests admired both as well-balanced between fruit and oak, and delicious. They noted that the Pomanauk was earthier, and the Schneider was fruiter and tarter -- but both were excellent.
  3. The California Pinot Noirs: The Steele won hands down. The Fess Parker was well-liked, but people LOVED the Steele; found it fruitier and more complex.
  4. Chateauneuf: turned out to be much lighter than expected, which worked better with the osso buco, but could not compare to the Pinot Noirs[/list=1]

Okay, CC?

Joined Jul 31, 2000
Suzanne,

The only thing that makes me sad is I could not be there to dig into some yummy marrow!!!!

Farro, How did you prepare it? did you try to mimick risotto?

Jed Steele has done a great job (IMHO) since he moved on from Jess jackson and Kendell Jackson. He's a real innovator, but respects the lay of the land, His Pinots are very good indeed at each price tier.

Suzanne,
Have you ever tried this? when I use something other than aboria to replace risotto, I take some aborio and grind it in my coffee grinder until it's a flour, and add it to farror, barley, what have you to develope a creamy starch texture you get from aborio.

Thanks for sharing your little party with us :)
next time count me in, i'll bring some 70 Fonsceca to wash it all down
CC

Top Bottom