Wine Spectator's Online Wine School

Discussion in 'Pairing Food and Wine' started by pete, Jun 30, 2003.

1. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I am in the middle of a course from "The Wine Spectator's" new online wine school. It is great!!! I haven't really had a chance to use my wine knowledge too much here at the country club and felt I was slipping so I signed up for the 10 class program for professionals in the food and wine industry, though anyone can sign up for their courses. They aren't cheap, the professional class is $245 plus all the wines (20-2 per class), but I got work to pay for it. The great thing is I can take a class any time I want. Once you sign on you have 20 weeks to complete the class before you lose your access. Each class covers a different aspect of wine, from how to taste to the differences of Old World and New World wines. Each class also has a guided tasting of 2 wines. The cool thing is, they are not specific labels that you must use. They give you the types of wines, the styles, the varietal, etc. and then give you some examples, but you are really on your own for getting the wines you want or need. They it is part of the learning process of their classes (learning how to navigate a wine store). The nice thing about that though, is you can really decide how much you want to spend for the class. Since the class requires 20 wines you may want, or need to stay inexpensive (you can find all the wines you need for the class under $10-15) or you can spend upwards of hundreds for a bottle if you so desire. Since the tastings are only ''guided'' tastings and not specific tastings it works either way you go. Check it out: Wine Spectator School

2. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hey Pete,

Thats excellent.

Tell us about some of the specific wines you've tried and some TNs

3. cakerookie

cakerookie

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Hey Pete looks like a great online learning experience. Checked out the resources page got some great info there. Hey I just noticed this is my 500th posts. Think I will have a glass of wine to celebrate!

4. firerose0801

firerose0801

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Wow, I didn't even know they offered online classes on Wine Spectator. I am going to have to check those out.