Wine In your recipe ??

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by surfcast, Nov 12, 2018.

1. surfcast

surfcast

Exp:
    Home Cook
    As we all now, wine is common in allot of cooking . I see some putting wine ,directly into cooking liquid . I never did it that way , I was always under the impression, that wine had to be added to a
    hot pan . And be reduced buy half or more ,or the dish would taste like just that ,wine !
    The recipe that I was watching was a short rib recipe , and the meat cooked in the oven for over two hours I guess you can get away with it and slowly boils for a long time ?

2. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    You don't have to reduce unless you're trying to fortify the flavor. I boil for 30 sec. just to cook the alcohol off. The only time I add wine to a hot pan is to deglaze it.

3. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    I suppose wine is often used as a deglazing liquid, which may be what gave you the impression that it "had" to be added to a hot pan, but that's not a hard rule — especially if you've already deglazed the pan with something else.

4. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    No - it doesn't have to be added directly to a pan. As @mike9 says, you can just 'boil it off'. I often add it to tomato sauces, to stews etc. in that way. Same goes for other types of alcohol.

5. Seoul Food

Seoul Food

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    food-drink-recipe-wine-wind_reduction-couple-recipe_instructions-mgdn124_low.jpg

redbeerd cantu and french fries like this.
  6. surfcast

surfcast

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Thanks for the above advice

7. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    If adding wine to a liquid that already has been seasoned with herbs, etc, you really do want to boil the alcohol of first as I believe it acts as a solvent distillation otherwise and you would loose a lot of volatilizes from your seasonings. The one time I poured wine straight into such a boiling liquid I smelled a whole lot of herbs coming off.