Wine glasses

Discussion in 'Pairing Food and Wine' started by cape chef, Sep 15, 2000.

1. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    When enjoying a bottle (or two) of wine,do you use what is accepted by most to be the correct glass for a particular wine? Do you find this makes a difference? or do you think it is unnessersary.

2. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Dick, I do agree with you on every point. however, I do believe because of the shape of the bowl and the thickness of the crystel there is a difference in the taste. You use reidel as a example (probably the best) all that extra room in the bowl that you talk to, as well as the slope of the glass all gives us the extra nuiances that we would not taste in a standard issue.The aroma and taste are both enhanced. so i would say that all in all the proper glass designed for a wine will be a benifit. I do also agree that the everyday Quaff need not a Reidel. Not many of us (chefs that is) can support a whole flight of Reid*** glasses

3. nutcakes

nutcakes

I really dislike drinking wine in bistro glasses and hate it when restaurants serve it like this.

We do have bacarat glasses for red wine and while they are nice, I don't feel comfortable swirling in them because they are so thin. I broke one once and am only allowed to use them on special occasions, so they make me nervous.

I do like to swirl and sniff, too.

4. ruthy

ruthy

I love drinking from Riedel glasses. They make a huge difference to my enjoyment of a great wine. There are other glasses similar but a lttle less expensive and less fragile than the Riedel. They all break so easily. That is a price one has to pay.

5. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Great Topic~ Actually next year I'm program chair of a local Culinary Society adn that is our Feb. Program......DO the shapes of glasses affect the flavor of the wine?My wine guy does not believ it....buys his from Pier One and serves great wines in it....we'll see.....

6. david jones

david jones

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I vote yes to Reidel.

7. lobster

lobster

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I also agree that the shape and size of the wine glass has an effect on what you're tasting - I have the Riedel Vinum series.
    P.S. David Jones - you didn't attend a cooking school in Gaithersberg, MD in say 1997-1998??

8. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    You can add another vote for Reidel! Drinking wine should be an elegant experience. A glass is not just a glass and content determines the shape.

There is a great explaination of wine glasses and taste zones of the tongue at the following web pages: [​IMG]
    http://www.brownderby.com/brownderby/technical.asp
    http://www.riedelcrystal.com/page5.htm (in detail)
    http://www.cs.ucsd.edu/users/wgg/Wine/accessories.html

shroomgirl: Any "wine guy" who seriously considers himself as such and doesn't believe the shape of the glass has anything to do with the experience of wine tasting should find another job!

[This message has been edited by cchiu (edited September 21, 2000).]

9. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    International wine judges don't get paid.
    I guess he gets a stipend for teaching wine classes for the last 20 years. Or being one of the founders of Mo. wine board....
    The creditials are there guess it's all a matter of taste, and being a preferred taste I don't argue too much (about this). To each his own and he says it doesn't matter.

10. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Well we're going to an official Brown Derby Riedel glas/wine tasting on Oct. 26th I will let you in on the results....and I am fairly unbiased

11. david jones

david jones

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    No, lobster, I didn't go to cooking school at all! I got into the restaurant business in 1982 when I was at Northwestern in engineering school. When I finished school, good waiters made more money than so-so engineers, and the rest is history! I've been the front guy for some good chefs here in Chicago and now I consult full-time.

I make a mean piggies-in-a-blanket, bicuits and gravy, and bolognese sauce, but that's about it.

12. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I ran the results on another thread....the glass does make a difference! I really like the tasting glass....playing with wine is so much fun and rolling a glass around on it's side with the wine staying in it is pretty entertaining. What can I say it's the little things in life.