Wine and Cheese Party

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by chrose, Dec 19, 2001.

1. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Okay gang, I have been invited to a W & C party. There will be Americans, Canadians, Finns and who knows who else. Bearing in mind, keeping a reasonable budget and considering that I am not..gasp...a cheese expert. Have you any thoughts, pairings etc. I'm okay on the wine part, but what else would be appropriate besides a straight ahead cheese. The invite said bring your favorite wine and cheese. Can I bring a cheese dish as opposed to a piece of cheese, which is what I would prefer. Gawd help me, I don't know what to do....Chrose falls into a heap in the corner and sobs gently....:rolleyes:

2. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hi Chrose,

How about taking some fresh figs and cutting them in half lenght wise, with your thumb gently press down on the flesh to create a little well. Then take some maytag blue and whip it with a little marscapone and fresh chives and chill, when chilled roll them into little balls and then roll the balls in toated ground pistachios and place it in the little well. Them make some suatern jelly and spoon a salpicon of the jelly on top.

cc

3. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    My brother-in-law has been talking about having a wine and cheese party for years, and we're still waiting! Lucky you! I think it would be more than appropriate to bring a cheese-based dish. CC's sounds fantastic! I just bought a French cheese book this afternoon, and among other things, it gives info. on wines that go well with each cheese. Good for wine dummies like me!:)

4. chiffonade

chiffonade

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    ...marscapone

Mah-scar-PONE NOT Mar-sca-pone. PLEASE.

...suatern

Sauternes (pronounced saw-TURN).

In any case, your ideas were great! I love figs and think they go well with wine.

My favorite cheese is St. Andre which has all the mouthfeel of brie and twice the personality.

5. isa

isa

If you find fresh figs, try this:

With a knife, cut the top part of the figs and put aside. Using a melon baller, empty the figs, putting the fruit into a bowl. Mash the figs with a fork and mix in a soft blue cheese. Put the mixture back into the figs, placing the top of each figs back.

Sorry my head isn’t thinking in English tonight. Hope that won’t stop you from trying the stuffed figs.

6. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Look for Neal's Yard cheeses.....
    Sharp cheddar biscuits with a fun ham and chutney
    Cambazola and wheat biscuits Carrs makes good ones throw on some Comice or bosc pears
    Palmiers.....what can I say, they impress the multitudes.

7. olive branch

olive branch

Stilton and Port. Bring some toasted walnuts. Tried but very true.