Chef Forum banner

Will it split/curdle after freezing?

2K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  chefross 
#1 ·
Finished sauce L'Americaine (with tomalley, roe and reduced with half the cream called for in the recipe).

#10 ·
@cheflayne

2 lobster bodies, mirepoix, tarragon, parsley, tomato, tomato paste, white wine, peppercorns, bay leaf to yield 2 cups strained stock

tomalley and roe (both females) put through sieve, mixed with 1/3 cup white wine, 1 T flour (dissolved in a touch of wine)

whisk tomalley/roe into hot stock, boil for 3 minutes whisking

strain again, add 1 c heavy cream, reduce by half, strain again

finish with 1 T cognac, 1 T butter (not before freezing)

#13 ·
Who am I to question Jacques Pepin? That is the beauty of the culinary arts, no one way to do things, only lots of food police on duty. I merely pass along what I have gleaned so far in my career. FWIW, I don't pull over to the curb for the food police :~)

#15 ·
I tend to follow the adage "Learn the rules so you can break them properly"
Couldn't agree more...
even the Dalai Lama is onboard
Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively. Dalai Lama
Even Pepin changes things up, no cream or flour in this one.
Monkfish à l'Américaine
Essential Pepin by Jacques Pepin - serves 4
About 2 pounds monkfish, preferably large fillets
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, cut into ½" pieces (1 cup)
1 carrot, peeled and cut into ½" pieces (1/2 cup)
1 small leek, trimmed, leaving some green, split, washed and cut into ½" pieces (1 cup)
1 stalk of celery, cut into ½" pieces (1/3 cup)
1 ¼ cups chopped tomato
2 tablespoons tomato paste
3 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon herbs de Provence
1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
½ teaspoon fennel seeds
½ cup fruity white wine
1 tablespoon Armagnac or cognac
1 cup water
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
Cut monkfish into twelve pieces. Heat the oil in a large heavy saucepan until hot but not smoking. Add the onion, carrot, leek, and celery and cook over medium-low heat for 5 minutes. Add tomato, tomato paste, garlic, herbs de Provence, salt, cayenne, fennel seeds, wine, brandy, and water, bring to a boil, and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
Add fish, cover, and simmer gently over low heat for 15 minutes. Remove the pieces of fish from the saucepan and set aside on a platter. Add the butter to the mixture in the pan and, using a hand blender, emulsify the vegetables into a fine puree. You can also leave the sauce chunky if you prefer. Add the fish back into the sauce, sprinkle with the tarragon, and bring to a boil to heat through. Serve with rice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.