will it make that difference if using fire roasted crash tomatos from a can or regular?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by desired, Jul 18, 2013.

1. desired

desired

Exp:
    Home Cook
    today i've made some stew which asked for this.

i guess that even tho it is tasty this way. the fire roasted tomatoes could have been much more better for it.

thanks

2. sparkys44

sparkys44

Exp:
    Other
    Just consider this: look at the can, look at the "ingredients", Look at a fresh organic tomato… any questions?

3. desired

desired

Exp:
    Home Cook
    i want to ask again.

is it different if it fire roasted or not?

i had the regular stuff. here we can't fint the fire roasted as a product

tnx

4. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Yes, fire roasted tomatoes have a much different flavor profile than regular tomatoes. I am not sure where you are located, but here in California, most grocery stores carry the fire roasted canned tomatoes along side the regular ones. It is also pretty easy and even preferable in tomato season to make your own.

5. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food

Desired, welcome to Chef Talk firstly, and I've made stews with both the fire roasted as well as the regular canned tomatoes. There isn't a HUGE difference, only that the roasted ones have that smokey goodness to them. I have not tried to put fresh tomatoes on the grill to char them, but I would think that cheflayne's suggestion would be a VERY tasty substitute for canned. I will need to try that though, I would think that while tomatoes are in season here in the US, I could char them and then freeze them for later use.

6. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Yes, there is a noticeable difference, but it isn't that pronounced.  You could take a fresh tomato, and place some slices on an oiled sheet under the broiler for several minutes.

In the past I have smoked tomatoes, which work nicely, used sparingly, in some soups and chiles.

mjb.

7. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    mmmm, smoked tomatoes, note to self, must try this as well!
    though I am not a tomato fan as they do not agree with me (even ketchup), I do so love a good chili or stew!

8. desired

desired

Exp:
    Home Cook
    thanks

you helped me very much with the idea of making my own under the broiler

must try that soon :)

9. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Totally different flavor.  Another good way put 1/2 Italian tomatoes on sheet pan put in oven overnight on just pilot if you have gas. Give tomatoes deeper,   richer flavor.