Will an Electric Stirrer Work for Roux? Chronic Pain Sucks!!!!

Joined Jul 5, 2014
I'm in the mood for making some gumbo but due to my disability I'm hand is killing me. So I'm wondering if one of the electric stirrer gizmos would stir enough for me to make a good roux because I know I cant stir by hand for 10+ minutes today. What do you all think or does anyone have experience?

Joined Sep 17, 2018
Do you mean an electric hand mixer with the attachments? Or the little thing that goes in the pot to move it around so it doesn't burn? If it the little stirrer, it may be hard to get enough agitation to incorporate the roux properly. I am just assuming you have the 10+ minutes listed because you want a dark roux for the gumbo? If so you could always just whisk it enough to mix it together and try finishing it by baking it in the oven.

Joined Oct 1, 2006
Hi Tom!

I doubt those auto-stir devices would work for a brown roux...

I have Good News for next time and the rest of your life!

Bake some AP flour in an oven for about an hour at 350F. Depending on your flavor/color preferences, bake either longer or shorter periods next time. (I do my batches when I already have the the oven on for something else.)

Baking the flour eliminates the need for constant stirring, extends shelf life by toasting any wheat weevel eggs, and allows an "instant brown roux" in the time it takes to add it to a fat! I have about 6 oz left in a ziplock bag right now. If moisture attacks, I have a mortar and pestle for the 10 seconds that takes to make into powder again.

Does anyone actually toast Almonds or coconut on top of the stove in a frying pan anymore? That's where I got the idea from, the flavor and color development depends on the flour, not the fat.

In my mind, any flavor/color difference is less than 10%, The time saving alone is worth it, to me...

Good luck and I hope you give it a try!

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
As you have a physical limitation, you can buy it in jars. stores in the South carry it and it's available online.

Joined Jul 5, 2014
\
Do you mean an electric hand mixer with the attachments? Or the little thing that goes in the pot to move it around so it doesn't burn? If it the little stirrer, it may be hard to get enough agitation to incorporate the roux properly. I am just assuming you have the 10+ minutes listed because you want a dark roux for the gumbo? If so you could always just whisk it enough to mix it together and try finishing it by baking it in the oven.
Nope there are electric stirrers that stir things I think the other below got what I was asking about perfectly.

Hi Tom!

I doubt those auto-stir devices would work for a brown roux...

I have Good News for next time and the rest of your life!

Bake some AP flour in an oven for about an hour at 350F. Depending on your flavor/color preferences, bake either longer or shorter periods next time. (I do my batches when I already have the the oven on for something else.)

Baking the flour eliminates the need for constant stirring, extends shelf life by toasting any wheat weevel eggs, and allows an "instant brown roux" in the time it takes to add it to a fat! I have about 6 oz left in a ziplock bag right now. If moisture attacks, I have a mortar and pestle for the 10 seconds that takes to make into powder again.

Does anyone actually toast Almonds or coconut on top of the stove in a frying pan anymore? That's where I got the idea from, the flavor and color development depends on the flour, not the fat.

In my mind, any flavor/color difference is less than 10%, The time saving alone is worth it, to me...

Good luck and I hope you give it a try!
This is fantastic idea. I've read about before but never think about!

As you have a physical limitation, you can buy it in jars. stores in the South carry it and it's available online.
This may be the best idea yet. I will look at the prices for roux online.

Joined Apr 25, 2017
Sgmchef is spot on. There is so much that is easier to brown in the oven. In addition to flour, nuts and coconut; there is bacon, sausage, and caramelized onions.

If you have some, line your pan with parchment paper to toast flour - it just makes it easier to funnel the flour off the pan and into the container you are going to keep it in. Tin foil would work if you don't have parchment paper.

Joined Oct 9, 2008
In his low-fat cookbook A Fork In The Road, Paul Prudhomme suggested that baked flour trick as a way to make traditional-tasting Louisiana food without all the fat. He probably has good advice about making it work well -- he usually does.

Joined Jul 5, 2014
Well, I'm going to roast the flower tomorrow but I did make my gumbo today and even was able to handle making the roux on the stove. Today was a good day pain wise at least for a couple of hours. LOL

Joined Jan 15, 2012
Alton Brown did a segment on his show where he did a brick brown roux in the oven - no stirring needed. You should be able to google his shrimp gumbo recipe to get the details.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I usually dry cook my flour in a pan. I find the dehydrated flour needs less fat to break.

Top Bottom