Wild raspberries

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by marmalady, Jul 11, 2002.

1. marmalady

marmalady

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    The wild raspberry bushes on our property are going crazy this year! I just picked about a quart and a half this morning, and they're only starting to ripen!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

At last, I'm going to have enough to put up some preserves - oh joy, oh joy!!

2. katbalou

katbalou

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    dear marmalady,
    nothing better than cracking a jar of home made raspberry jam in february, it brings summer right back to me. yumm :D last year i had the audacity to bring some of my preserves to one of the monks at the Trappist Preserves!! no humility here. ;) he did seem to like it though. did you make strawberry preserves also?
    kat

3. marmalady

marmalady

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Hi, Kat,

Love your monk story! Yep, made strawberry preserves -bought the strawberries, tho - but they were Jersey Strawberries, so almost like homegrown!

I just froze my first two QUARTS!!!!!! Can't believe they're producing this much this year. And held back about a cup of the bestest ones for the tart I'm making tomorrow!

4. katbalou

katbalou

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    dear marmalady,
    how was the tart? and what did you use for a recipe? i can't wait until end of august beginning of sept. for my cultivated raspberries to come in! i planted them this year and hope they take!
    kat

5. marmalady

marmalady

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I made an almond tart crust, baked it off, then a thin layer of melted chocolate on the bottom. Mixed up some mascarpone with conf. sugar, vanilla and almond, spread that over the chilled chocolate layer, then raspberries, and drizzle of melted chocolate on top. Yum!

Tomorrow I'll go out for the second picking - before the wild turkeys get 'em!